• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

NSW Judges to undergo health checks (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
poor judges...
Unwell? We'll be the judge of that

JUDGES will soon be forced to undergo health checks to avoid any repeat of scandals that forced the retirement of the sleeping Ian Dodd or the drink-driving Jeff Shaw.

New laws for handling complaints against judicial officers will also make it clear that the days of dealing with misbehaving judges "in house" are over.

Heads of courts will be able to order health checks if they fear a judge or magistrate suffers from "incapacity" rather than having to wait for a complaint from the public. The body which handles complaints, the NSW Judicial Commission, will also be given the power to order medical or pyschological examinations. If the judicial officer refuses, the matter can treated as a complaint - and trigger a full investigation of their "fitness for office".

The "cone of silence" that exists over the commission's activities will be lifted and complainants will be given updates on the progress of their gripes for the first time.

The amendments to the Judicial Officers Act will also abolish the categorisation of complaints as minor or serious because it was insulting to people who had serious grievances.

A draft bill is being prepared after cabinet recently approved recommendations which flowed from a review established by the Government last year.

The Attorney-General, Bob Debus, foreshadowed some of the changes at the time but the measures are tougher than expected, with the minister making it clear he wants no more Dodds or Shaws.

santaslayer

HSC
tis good for public's perception of judges, and thus the law. maintains rightful judicial image.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
As long as they don't introduce drug testing. Personally, I like some of the crazy rulings that are handed down.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Because I am unaware of the specifics of this commission, I'm slightly wary of this. Any executive-appointed body watching over judges should be treated cautiously.

Health checks are fine. But whilst complaint handling should exist, I think the sanctions imposed should be carefully considered and scrutinised.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)