• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

NSW or Interstate? (1 Viewer)

SmileyCam

HSC
I guess most people generally stay in NSW, but I was wondering peoples opinions on uni in the different states (mainly NSW and QLD but any others are good too)

thanx

Danoz The Great

HSC
I don't know much on other states and territories Universities, but QLD Uni's are supposed to be really good. I have a couple of mates at Brisbane and Griffith Uni's.There's usually no problem with accepting NSW kiddies there either.

I don't know too much on QLD Universities (but they're definately in my top five choices!), nor on how the QLD form of the HSC works, so talk to some teachers or Career advisors at school.

doe

HSC
N/A
what course (or field) and what uni?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
See my signature.

If you apply to QLD universities as well as NSW universities, you will have a minimum 2 of preferences and a maxmimum of 18. You could use all 18.

OP1 Roughly equals 99 UAI
OP6 Roughly equals 90 UAI
OP10 Roughly equals 80 UAI

Cab31

HSC
I moved up from sydney to brisbane to go to uni at QUT. Its really good up here - there are less uni's so there tend to be more ppl split between two main uni's - QUT and UQ. I really like it and i think that having done the HSC is an advantage over the QLD students because they have never had to remember anything like what we had to for the HSC. They never even had end of year exams - only end of term ones! lol - dodgy school system!
So far so good up here in brisvegas!

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
i've heard that the uni's at melb and canberra are better for my kind of course. except, i don't really think i'd move out of home where i don't have to pay rent or cook for myself. i guess i'm not very independent.

oh well, i'm happy to stick to nsw

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
Cab31 said:
I moved up from sydney to brisbane to go to uni at QUT. Its really good up here - there are less uni's so there tend to be more ppl split between two main uni's - QUT and UQ. I really like it and i think that having done the HSC is an advantage over the QLD students because they have never had to remember anything like what we had to for the HSC. They never even had end of year exams - only end of term ones! lol - dodgy school system!
So far so good up here in brisvegas!
buwhahahaha! QLD's school system is a joke!

doe

HSC
N/A
everyone knows the best unis are in NT

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Cab31 said:
Are you coming up to brissy?

And yes QLD school system is a joke.
Yep. University of Queensland. Should be great.

Feel free to add any more thoughts on Brisbane. Anything to get my mind off the HSC. :p

Cab31

HSC
Cool!! What course do u want to do at UQ? We should start up a section for UQ and QUT - though it would pretty much be just me and you in there - lol. As a student at QUT we are meant to be full against UQ - some rivalry thing similar to UNSW and USYD except worse coz there are like only 2 big uni's in Brisbane.
It is really good up here though! The city is smaller so it is easier and faster to get to uni and everything. Seriously if u are 5km outside the deadset centre of the city you are considerred in the suburbs!
Its a good atmosphere up here.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Cab31 said:
Cool!! What course do u want to do at UQ? We should start up a section for UQ and QUT - though it would pretty much be just me and you in there - lol. As a student at QUT we are meant to be full against UQ - some rivalry thing similar to UNSW and USYD except worse coz there are like only 2 big uni's in Brisbane.
It is really good up here though! The city is smaller so it is easier and faster to get to uni and everything. Seriously if u are 5km outside the deadset centre of the city you are considerred in the suburbs!
Its a good atmosphere up here.
Don't worry, when I go to uni I'll be sure to promote this place. :p

I thought Griffith was the 2nd biggest? I want to do BSc with nanotechnology and mathematics majors. What are you doing?

What's the public transport like? And how good of an idea would using a bike be?

Cab31

HSC
Slide Rule said:
Don't worry, when I go to uni I'll be sure to promote this place. :p

I thought Griffith was the 2nd biggest? I want to do BSc with nanotechnology and mathematics majors. What are you doing?

What's the public transport like? And how good of an idea would using a bike be?
QUT is bigger than UQ. Griffith is quite small up here. I am doing a double degree of B Health Sc in Podiatry and B applied Sc in Human Movement. Public Transport is quite good up here - though it depends on where you live. QUT is the only uni that is actually in the city as such. The main UQ campus is at St Lucia - which is about 10 minutes south West of the city. I am split between two campuses but the one i am closest to takes about 10 minutes in a car or train. I have my bike up here but i havent ridden it yet as i have had a shoulder recon. My sister rode in once and it took her about 25 minutes - which is pretty sweet when u consider how long it takes some ppl to get to uni. Heaps of people ride their bikes in (to QUT at least). I am not sure if there is a trainstop at St Lucia - but there would be heaps of buses going there. Again, brissy isnt very big so it doesnt take u long to get anywhere really. From what i can gather, when ppl say they are going to the City, it basically means one street - Queen Street. Whereas in sydney it could mean so many places!

By the way the UAI - OP conversion system is dodgy. It is way harder to get in the nineties than it is to get like an OP 6 which is the equivalent of a ninety.

Last edited:

inasero

Reborn
HSC
then its better for queenslanders to come and do a course in sydney!

kalli

HSC
melb unis r good (especially melb uni) and living here is cheap... public transport is the BEST in any city ive been to,...

Cab31

HSC
Without Wings said:
the friend of mine who goes to uni in qld said she had a bad experience with the public transport, but im sure that was just a one off :)
I did have a bad experience the other day on public transport. The train said it was heading towards my station but it was heading for the gold coast! i got stuck at some random hillbilly station and had to catch a cab home!! haha!

And yeah it would be better initially for them to come to sydney...but they'd struggle against the ppl who actually had to study for their final school exams....lol!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)