Nuetralization question (1 Viewer)

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
would 5% HCl require more NaOH for nuetralization than 5% Ch3COOH? Explain your reasoning.

Does the 5% have anything to do with it? Cause i remember the teacher saying once that even though we have weak and strong acid, the same NaOH required ... i Still dont understand that ..

Ac:confused:

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
whts the 5%? is that concentration?

strong acids would dissociate completely in water, eg. HCL

HCl -> H+ + Cl-

weak acids would only dissociate partly e.g. CH3COOH

CH3COOH -> H+ + CH3COO -

and see how there is still hydrogen in the CH3COO?
and so with the same concentration, the stronger acid would have a higher H concentration because all the H ions are there. in the carbonic acid, some hydrogen ions are still in molecules?

and high [H+] = lower pH

so the HCl will have a lower pH than CH3COOH with the same concentration. ie. more acidic

and so the HCl will require more NaOH to neutralise.

spice girl

magic mirror
5% is 5% weight / volume

in which case since HCl has a lower molecular mass than CH3COOH, there's a larger number of acidic hydrogens in 5% HCL than in 5% CH3COOH.

When you neutralise, you react acidic hydrogens with a base (in the case of NaOH, the OH-). It's a 1-to-1 ratio, i.e. H+ + OH- -> H2O.

remember acid + base = salt + water?

when you neutralise strong acids you get a neutral salt. when you neutralise weak acids you get a basic salt. This is because the conjugate base of the weak acid is stronger than the conjugate base of the strong acid.

kewpid

HSC
lets say we have 1M NaOH solution

it will be neutralised with 1M HCl and 1M CH3COOH, even though one is a weak acid and one is a strong acid.

this is because as the H+ ions in CH3COOH are neutralised by OH- in NaOH, more H+ ions are ionised into solution (Le Chatelier's principle)

CH3COOH + H2O --> H3O+ + CH3COO-

reduce H+ (coz they react with OH-)
equilibrium will shift to oppose the change
ie. increase H+
the reaction that increases H+ is the reverse reaction

hope that helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)