• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

number of units (1 Viewer)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
im currently doing eleven units and i only picked up ee2 at the last minute coz i was so terrified about doing ten units? but now im planning to drop it (ee2) and i plan to put all my time making sure my marks for the rest of my subjects, which are btw eng, eng ext 1, modern hist, hist ext, math 2u, and economics, are in band 6. do u think having my combination of ten units would adversely affect my uai. i honestly cant stand ee2 any more and i think i have no choice in this matter but any insight would be appreciated

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
wat?!?!? are u joking?!! i cant pick up ancient history coz its too late and i hate it and i would get 50 for it and maths is one of my best subjects! im gettin high nineties for maths! can u explain y i should do wat u sed?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
plus, maths 2u always scales better than ancient history so what ur saying isnt exactly logical....

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
i only do 10 units .. might pick up ext. spanish.... u dhouldnt have to be worried.. as long as u know u can manage ur subjects

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
my maths situation is a long story but there is nothing wrong with humanity and english subjects as economics scales well and my extension subjects should be ok i think...im just re assuring myself on this but i dont understand this mindset that english and humanities are useless or not as "good" as 4u maths and the sciences. anyway thanks for ur replies

abdooooo!!!

Banned
no i think you misunderstood me... what i mean is that unless math is your best subject and you are doing 4u math, its not a good choice to do math. because subjects like english and history is likely to be mutually beneficial ie if you're good a one you will be good at all of them. :)

so having all your units comming from english and humanity to make up your 10units for your uai is a logical choice to maximise it.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
yeah but i need maths for my uni course and its too late to pick u 3u ( i did 3u in yr11) this far into the game. so 2u maths will have to do. but i've never heard of this collative subjects/maximise uai thingo? how does that work?

suz

HSC
In my opinion, you will be fine. English extension two is alot of work and if you really aren't *into* it, it will be a waste (this comes from experience regarding one of my subjects)
If you are doing well in all your subjects, you will be fine...
What king of UAI were you looking for???

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
phew! *relieved smile* umm yeah that was what i was thinking too. im not very dedicated to my ee2 work at all!. i am hoping for a uai of just above 95 but ill be fairly happy with anything ova 90. i think i can achieve low band 6's in most of my subjects, if not then one or two low band fives.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by Sarah168
yeah but i need maths for my uni course and its too late to pick u 3u ( i did 3u in yr11) this far into the game. so 2u maths will have to do. but i've never heard of this collative subjects/maximise uai thingo? how does that work?
well its like this... for english type of subjects (like every subject in the hsc except for math) you need to write good and fast. so if you are good at that then why not just don't choose math unless you reckon your math is better than your english. because like i said before if you're good at modern history... you'll be good at ancient history as well if you study the same amount for both, because they both need the same attributes to achieve top marks. so studying one is helping the other.

there is this guy who posted his results on this forum in 2002, i think he got 99.95. he did similar subject to you and had 2 units of math as well. he got 95+ hsc mark for all his subjects except for math which he only got 90 for. and he only had 9 units of english type subjects so the final unit for his uai was made up by math and hence destroyed any chance of him achieving 100. :p

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
well im not looking at 100 for my uai. but if my 2u mark is good (unlike that guy but he exceled in his other subjects anyway) then i dont c y it should affect it severely. i cant pick up ancient history now even if i wanted to so y are u suggesting that i pick it up?!? or is there a way of picking up subjects now? (not that i would consider picking up ancient history) my 2u maths mark is not going to suck so it shouldnt affect my uai if i do well in the other subjects i think but about that guy, he didnt do well in 2u maths (when i say not well, i mean in terms of relativity here coz 90 is excellent) therfore it affected his uai not because of choosing the subject itself so my case is a little different in that i can achieve a high band 6 for it

abdooooo!!!

Banned
i think you can pick up a subject now... it just depends on your schools situation and your teachers attitude towards your abilities.

im not saying you won't end up with a good mark if you did math. all im saying is that if you did ancient history instead of 2u math, even if you get the same scaled mark for both in the end, ancient history still will be a better choice because studying it helps with the rest of your subjects.

but if you like me, my math is SOOO much better than my english so i do 4u math. if not stay away from it because its not beneficial for your other subjects.

suz

HSC
You will have no problem attaining that UAI if what you believe you will get is true. I got a UAI in the early 90's (which I was impressed with lol) wid only 2 band 6's and 5 band 5's
If you are not dedicated why waste your time???
The answer seems pretty simple to me , DROP IT LOL
By the way this is coming from someone who completely HATED year 12 english lol

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
as abdoo said, some shcool will actually manipulate for you to pick up subjects. i know at my school, they offered us at the end of year 11, to pick up ext 1 english. there was agiff to it-we had to catch up on all the work in this holiday, which i personally thought would be worth it. i just ddint take it because i just moved here and being the n00b, i had to settle in first.

if you know you dont like a certain subject, the drop it because you wont be motivated to even touch it and also do bad in it because of your bad attitude towards it.

10 units is not to be worried about. sure you dont have a subject to fall back on, but that gives you a greater chance and more time for you to concerntrate and do well in your 5 subjects. you have 20% less work than those who do 12 units. but you should really do what you think is right. you obviuosly know what to do. just do it ;) :)

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by kimmeh
as abdoo said, some shcool will actually manipulate for you to pick up subjects. i know at my school, they offered us at the end of year 11, to pick up ext 1 english. there was agiff to it-we had to catch up on all the work in this holiday, which i personally thought would be worth it. i just ddint take it because i just moved here and being the n00b, i had to settle in first.
what? ahahaha... manipulate you to do it? thats funny. my teacher was telling me (and the whole class) to drop E1 english at the end of year 11, but we refused. :D

yeah do what you are good at... don't worry about the scale thing or whatever. its just that when you say you are good at math then why not just do 4u? if you can't for some reason then don't do math at all and concentrate on other subjects like history and english which you seem to have a lot of... :p

Dave85

HSC
i did 10 units in year 12. I did 2u maths, 2u adv eng, 2u Re, 2u physics and 2u chem. it was the BEST thing i ever did. It gave me time to concentrate on my 5 subjetcs and i knew they were all counting which MADE me work hard @ them. i I didnt see the point of doing something that won't count. Ppl advised me not 2 but if i did more then 10units, i wudve wasted time on a subject (legal studies) that wudnt hav counted. As a result i wud hav studied less for my main 5 subjects and had a slightly lower uai... and if my uai was lower i wudve missed out on my course (B business @uts) coz my uai was the uai cut off 4 the couse

in conclusion: GO 4 IT!

Marie-Paule

yer its true some skool try and make u keep 13units...they did that to me i wanted to drop 2u economics and after a long talk with the subject co-ordinator she dropped it for me and said "now u have to work harder non stop work because u only got 11uints" i walked out of there thinking id made the biggest mistake of my life.....still feel like that sometimes i dont know if i did the right thing anymore....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)