• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

nursing (1 Viewer)

sweetpea111

HSC
Hello all, i'm thinking about becoming a nurse.

Just finishing my HSC 2007, yet not getting a UAI.

Living in sydney. 18 yrs old.

would like any infomation about this course as a tafe option.
  • How should i get started?
  • what tafe is good? and what is the best uni to continue at?
  • any advice on making the tafe to uni process easier? maybe how to gain extra credits or fast track the process?
  • prerequisites?
  • anything i should avoid? that will only slow the process or be a waste of time?
  • Is it very hard to be a nurse in both the theory and practical aspects?
  • Any success or failure stories lol?
  • is it worth the 3+ years study for the amount of pay? work hours? job availability? psychological strain?
  • is there a part time option to begin my training whilst working so i can have a years break from full time studies? or anything i can start casually (volunteer or something) to get credits.
  • Are there any short courses that will give me the general idea about nursing so i can decide if i like it before going into the full study?
Thanks to anyone who can give me any feedback.

georgeoo00

HSC
hey there
well my mum teaches nursing at CSU and has completely inspired me to do it. what you can do is begin by enrolling into tafe and becoming an enrolled nurse, then get credits for a degree in nursing at university and if thats the way you want to start thats fine. however im defintly going through uni. The first subjects are gerentology (elderly people) and that is first so it sorts out the people who really shouldnt be at the course (its hard work).
you only need a basic knowledge of general maths to do nursing for the calculations, and as a bonus the government pays some of your hecs fees because they are desperate for nurses. the HUGE plus of the job is you can ALWAYS get work, and you can end up earning ALOT of money if you do shift work (70 000pa)
depending on what uni you go to but i know at Wagga csu i know all the staff and they are all really willing to help you and although the course is hard they dont want to see you fail. the best thing about nursing is when your finished you can go into sooo many different areas... like midwifery, emergency, intensive care, work at a nursing home, surgery and heaps more.
nurses have pressure upon them because they are the ones who administer the drugs so alot of peoples lives are in their care, and it is hard work but really rewarding. its not really for the weak, you see a lot of sick people and death is around you all the time but you have to think of it as you are doing your best for who ever and whatever. you really should have done work expeiernce to get the jist of it, that would have shown you some insight to their work. but apart from all that its a really really great job and my mum has been a nurse for over 30 years and said she woulndy change a thing...
hope that helped

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)