• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Obsession in Frankenstien (1 Viewer)

Funkifrog

HSC
Hi everyone this is really urgent.

I need to write a one page summary on how Victor's obsession with the creation of life is depicted in the book and it is due tomorrow any help would be greatly apprisiated. (quotes, explainations etc.)

Please please help I so stuck.:eek:

Plaese and Thank you

Zoe

HSC 2010 - English(advanced), General Maths, Biology, Geography, Business Studies, Economics.

ATAR GOAL - 95+

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Obssession in Frankenstein is criticised by Shelley, because it leads to the usurpation of God's creative powers.
In this attempt, Victor ultimately transgresses the natural order manifested through the biblical imagery in ‘command the thunders of heaven, mimic the earthquake and even mock the invisible world with its own shadows’ - associated with god-like power, alluding to the pantheistic beliefs of the Romantics, namely the Shelleys and Byron. This subsequent usurpation of God’s creative power results in Victor’s demise, leaving him ‘chained in an eternal hell....like an archangel that aspired to omnipotence’. Reacting against scientific thought and rationalism, Victor serves as a cautionary warning against the defiance of human limitations and the results of being ‘misled by passion’, reiterated further in ‘learn from me...how dangerous the acquirement of knowledge is.’
This is from my essay. Don't copy it - teachers do check BoS often, even out in Armidale. ;)

But it is something to get you started, so good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)