of little concequence (1 Viewer)

HSC
not that it really matters now, but does anyone know what the board of studies stance on electronics (synthisis or processing) in performance, and especially composition is?

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
electronic stuff is cool cos its like contemporary stuff. My friend used recorded tapes and beat boxes and all sorts of other stuff in her comp and she got nominated for encore for it. Some one esle played a piece which was played with a tape accompaniment with all sorts of wierd sounds and stuff. Um... electronic stuf should not be over used esp in comp cos it cant be properly notated - so its good to just use it occasionally for adding texture or effects and things like that. You also need like real instruments so that the work can actually be performed by players.

HSC
does the board stipulate that the score has to be presented in traditional notation?

im particularly interested in the area of electroaccoustic composition, where live instruments are treated/processed either in realtime as a performance, or applied to pre recorded parts

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
At the Con, we don't hand in scores for electronic music works, especially electro-acoustic works. They aren't meant to be interpreted by performers, so there's no point in it. For the HSC though, you'd probably have to consult the Board in regards to these sorts of compositions, as you might not only not have a score, but might present a work in 5.1, or 7.1.

An option HSC students might want to explore is the use of patching, utilising programs such as Max MSP, AudioMulch, CSound and other such applications. With these sorts of compositions, the output can differ every time, which offers a unique compositional approach well used in Australian music of the last 25 years. Composers like Anthony Hood and Greg Schiemer especially are known for these techniques.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
when it comes to notation, as long as you're backing it up with research, modern or experimental notation is actually quite well looked upon!

Just make sure you have a legend explaining certain things mean....

HSC
Phanatical said:
At the Con, we don't hand in scores for electronic music works, especially electro-acoustic works. They aren't meant to be interpreted by performers, so there's no point in it. For the HSC though, you'd probably have to consult the Board in regards to these sorts of compositions, as you might not only not have a score, but might present a work in 5.1, or 7.1.

An option HSC students might want to explore is the use of patching, utilising programs such as Max MSP, AudioMulch, CSound and other such applications. With these sorts of compositions, the output can differ every time, which offers a unique compositional approach well used in Australian music of the last 25 years. Composers like Anthony Hood and Greg Schiemer especially are known for these techniques.
do you study electroacoustic composition as part of your course? or can you study it as a whole degree?
im currently studying computer music at ANU, and would eventually like to do a degree (either a second undergrad, or a postgrad) degree in electroacoustic composition but i cant really any information on availible courses.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
All BMus, BMusStudies & DipMus students complete a semester of Music Technology. All BMus (Comp.) students will also complete six semesters of Electronic Music. There is also an elective subject of Sound Recording Fundamentals that a lot of students take.

From 2005, the Conservatorium is offering Creative Sound Production at GradCert, GradDip and MMusStudies level. The Music Technology facilities have once again been upgraded to establish one of the best training facilities. More information is available at http://www.usyd.edu.au/conmusic/csp.html.

HSC
doing a straight baMus(comp) is proably too theory intensive for me at the moment.
do they push traditional composition fairly hard, or are they open to subversive/non traditional techniques and soforth?
i concider myself quite a competent musician, but i play almost entirly by ear with a very limited capacity to write/interpret traditionally scored music.
also is there much of a balance required by the course, for writing for traditional instruments as opposed to ones you have built/programmed yourself?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
The fact that Michael Smetanin, the so-called "Bad Boy of Australian Contemporary Music" is Chair of Composition sorts of sets the tone for the rest of the unit. They don't push traditional composition at all, except in the required Harmony and Analysis course all BMus, BMusStudies and DipMus students do (equivalent to AMEB theory/musicianship 7-8 grade). As one of the few more traditional composers, my marks are generally less than those who utilise "new" techniques. Personally, I believe that we have to have a good command of the traditional techniques to create new music, but there's a mentality in the Composition unit that we need to throw out the old and bring in the new.

You'll be expected to have a command of writing for all orchestral instruments, and any other instruments that you may be interested in. I have written for the Erhu, and one of my classmates is an expert in the Bandura. There isn't much emphasis on designing and building your own instruments, except in Electronic Music, but you will be expected to master and utilise various compositional techniques. You will also be expected to have a command of improvisational composition, both individually and in groups.

HSC
thanks for the information, sounds like i would be suited to most of what you outlined.
perhaps by the time i've finished my current degree, my reading chops will be alittle stronger.

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
mcdickpants 2.5 said:
does the board stipulate that the score has to be presented in traditional notation?

im particularly interested in the area of electroaccoustic composition, where live instruments are treated/processed either in realtime as a performance, or applied to pre recorded parts

nope - u dont have to use traditional notation - u can make up ur own stuff, as long as it makes sense and that its notated clearly so its easy to read.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)