one week until prelims! advice please <3 (1 Viewer)

mikrokosmos

HSC
hey! so basically prelims are in a week (😭) and i haven't exactly made all of my notes...

i'm usually on top of my work but i've been focusing on 2u eng, 3u eng and my 4u audition piece that i haven't done three topics of eco, two modules of bio and i don't think i need math notes,, just formulae to memorise.

would it be a good idea to download good concise resources for the subjects i still need notes for, and annotate them? i could then transfer them to flashcards for intensive study (+ prac papers etc) for the next week.

please drop some advice when you can! good luck x

studiesofboard

HSC
At this point making notes is just a complete waste of time. At this stage you should be doing past papers. When you answer past paper questions your answers become your notes anyways. Preliminary past papers: https://thsconline.github.io/s/yr11/
  • English - remember tee tables + write practice essays under timed conditions :)
  • Economics - past papers :)
  • Biology - past papers :)
  • Maths - past papers - you don't really need to remember formulas just do practice questions and understand how to do it :)
Good luck!

mikrokosmos

HSC
hey! thank you

tbh i'm not amazingly confident with my content, esp since i joined eco 2 topics late, missing all of the foundational content. but thank you!

DarkOperator618

HSC
Yoo! I'm currently in my exam block. Firstly, from experience, cram all the content, and memorise tf out of it with mindmaps and stuff. Then, get to past papers with the hardwired content in mind. That's what I did for pretty much business and physics. THis sould work, as you sound like you have a decent foundation for most of your subjects.

You got this, don't worry

Johnno1234

HSC
Use some good memory music, its quite useful from experience doing prelims last year. Everyone is particularly different and has different methods. The way I see it is don't bother doing past papers if you don't have sound understanding of the syllabus and content. Best option download those notes and read them. Utilising memory music is useful.

Trust

mikrokosmos

HSC
Yoo! I'm currently in my exam block. Firstly, from experience, cram all the content, and memorise tf out of it with mindmaps and stuff. Then, get to past papers with the hardwired content in mind. That's what I did for pretty much business and physics. THis sould work, as you sound like you have a decent foundation for most of your subjects.

You got this, don't worry
tysm dude! really appreciate it

mikrokosmos

HSC
Use some good memory music, its quite useful from experience doing prelims last year. Everyone is particularly different and has different methods. The way I see it is don't bother doing past papers if you don't have sound understanding of the syllabus and content. Best option download those notes and read them. Utilising memory music is useful.

Trust
woahh! okay ty <3

jojosiwa123

HSC
Hey, at this point honestly not sure if you should write notes, make sure you download some! if writing stuff out helps, write out the downloaded notes (I did this for prelims and it helped me remember stuff- although not long term obviously lol). Make sure you read ur notes out loud as well, this can help a lot to take in the content. MOST IMPORTANTLY though none of that note stuff matters as much, you should do past papers!! honestly my biggesttt regret from trials (hsc) is that I spent too much time on notes and past papers are actually what would have helped heaps more.

For english write out some practice essays (general ones), I can't remember if you guys get the question before hand? (if you do make sure to write drafts!!). If not just do general ones w quotes you can apply easily. Make sure to handwrite these.

mikrokosmos

HSC
Hey, at this point honestly not sure if you should write notes, make sure you download some! if writing stuff out helps, write out the downloaded notes (I did this for prelims and it helped me remember stuff- although not long term obviously lol). Make sure you read ur notes out loud as well, this can help a lot to take in the content. MOST IMPORTANTLY though none of that note stuff matters as much, you should do past papers!! honestly my biggesttt regret from trials (hsc) is that I spent too much time on notes and past papers are actually what would have helped heaps more.

For english write out some practice essays (general ones), I can't remember if you guys get the question before hand? (if you do make sure to write drafts!!). If not just do general ones w quotes you can apply easily. Make sure to handwrite these.
hey! yep im confident w english - ig my problem is just bio eco :( i enjoy them but its so much content!! however i'll probably annotate and condense some notes online for vigorous memorisation + prac papers.
thank you !!

exojun

HSC
Don't stress! Fortunately prelims is not the end of the world :)

For math i would recommend just doing past papers rather than writing notes (personally i don't think notes work for math .. but thats my own experience). Also i'm not sure how much help it would be as by the end of YR 11 i had given up on economics but i do have resources for all of consumers in the market economy and labour markets that i made for my own prelims last year. They are very detailed and quite long. I would be happy to share them with you if you wanted.

mikrokosmos

HSC

For math i would recommend just doing past papers rather than writing notes (personally i don't think notes work for math .. but thats my own experience). Also i'm not sure how much help it would be as by the end of YR 11 i had given up on economics but i do have resources for all of consumers in the market economy and labour markets that i made for my own prelims last year. They are very detailed and quite long. I would be happy to share them with you if you wanted.
yes please !!! that would be amazing

hellohowslife

HSC

just wondering if you could share them with me as well?

DarkOperator618

HSC

I agree on the maths part, as i don't do eco. As maths is a skill based subject, just focus on past papers, and suss out how you can do the solutions to accommodate the marking requirements from the solutions.

shashysha

HSC
prelims was a fun time looking back now lol

it'll be much better if you just download other notes and read/memorise those notes or the textbook, writing notes at this stage would be a waste of time which would be better spent doing past papers. (past papers are essentially everything for year 11 and 12 exams lol)

For eco, I just practiced some prelim papers (like 2-3? not much) and memorised statistics which I did very well in! (although i have dropped now in year 12 lol)
Same thing with math, just grind the papers out and you'll get a general sense of the types of questions they can ask you and how you can most effectively approach them.

Most importantly, it's just Year 11 prelims - doesn't count towards year 12 and are more so of an indicator of what you need to improve on for year 12, so just try to do your best and don't really stress over it.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
hey! so basically prelims are in a week (😭) and i haven't exactly made all of my notes...

i'm usually on top of my work but i've been focusing on 2u eng, 3u eng and my 4u audition piece that i haven't done three topics of eco, two modules of bio and i don't think i need math notes,, just formulae to memorise.

would it be a good idea to download good concise resources for the subjects i still need notes for, and annotate them? i could then transfer them to flashcards for intensive study (+ prac papers etc) for the next week.

please drop some advice when you can! good luck x

Imo just get some good notes online and memorise them well, and do past papers if you have spare time. To me knowing the content in depth is more important than past papers in terms of what to do if you have no time. Imagine you do 5 past papers but don't study the content, then the exam you get has completely unrelated questions. I prefer knowing all the content in depth then you can just answer any question that comes at you, but the important thing with this is to have decent exam technique or methods of answering questions. When I did trials I kept cramming every time for some reason so I just had time to memorise content and it worked out fine so I still have this opinion!

Keep in mind - everyone studies differently ^^ and nice username btw

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)