• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Open ended investigation....help! (1 Viewer)

jessica.gilroy

HSC
we have to do an open ended investigation where we research anything and i don't know what to research!? i have noooooo idea?!!! ahhh!!!???
please help if anyone has any ideas...or even just a clue of what i have to do...?
muchly appreciated!!

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
open ended? can it be ANY thing?

then you are better off doing something which you enjoy... jazz music, movie, tv show, soapie....

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
How about providing us with an outline? Woman...:rolleyes:

jessica.gilroy

HSC
Sory! here's what she gave us :)

<TABLE class=MsoTableGrid style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt; mso-yfti-tbllook: 480; mso-padding-alt: 0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=1><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0cm; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0cm; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; mso-border-alt: solid windowtext .5pt" vAlign=top>--Assesses the impact of particular advances in chemistry on the development of technologies
<O:p--Describes the chemical basis of energy transformations in chemical reactions
<O:p--Assesses the range of factors which influence the type and rate of chemical reactions Analyses stoichiometric relationships
--<O:pUses terminology and reporting styles appropriately and successfully to communicate information and understanding
--<O:pAssesses the validity of conclusions from gathered data and information
<O:p
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
1.Design and carry out an experiment to investigate a problem of your choice.<O:p</O:p
2. Keep a journal for this project. (5%)
3. Ensure the tests you do are fair tests.<O:p</O:p
4.Write up a practical report of your findings under the following headings: Title, Aim, Hypothesis, Equipment/Materials, Method, Results, Discussion (Analysis of your Results), Conclusion and Bibliography. (5%)<O:p</O:p
5. Presentation of your project to an audience in either one of the following forms: (5%)
· Power point presentation<O:p</O:p
· Large presentation board

Crashy19

HSC
argh, i need help with that too. do we do a dot point from the syllabus, or a smaller dot point thing or what?? it seems we have go it with a lot of time so does that signify it should be big, or just detailed?
i dont know what to do...

??anyone??

Crashy19

HSC
my teacher said to do it on a topic that you're interested in... or that you don't know so well so you can help yourself with it.

i don't know if that helps at all

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Crashy19 said:
my teacher said to do it on a topic that you're interested in... or that you don't know so well so you can help yourself with it.

i don't know if that helps at all
it sounded open ended... which shouldn't be too hard except for the "chemistry knowledge -> technology" part. ... if you are doing shipwrecks, thought about electrochemistry -> electrolysis?

Crashy19

HSC
im doing water just because i was away for it and its the only thing in chem i was looking forward to at all... (that would be right)

i wanted 2 do shipwrecks but we are doing industrial coz its "short and easy" or so ive been told

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
water? you mean monitoring water quality? or water, a prelim chem course?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Crashy19 said:
im doing water just because i was away for it and its the only thing in chem i was looking forward to at all... (that would be right)

i wanted 2 do shipwrecks but we are doing industrial coz its "short and easy" or so ive been told
what ??? i disagree with that, our chemistry teacher (happy retirement sir !!) said industrial chemistry is hard (and I agree) ... shipwrecks is definitely the easy one.

Season

HSC
Investigate plastics

here is a home made recipe for plastic
http://www.spartechsoftware.com/reeko/Experiments/ExpMakingPlastic.htm

here is another one

http://pbskids.org/zoom/activities/sci/plasticmilk.html

I suggest you research plastic do some crap on that

but then the recipes aren't specific about amounts to use, or whether to use skim/full cream/lite milk. Vary the reciipe and then do tests on how it affects the plastic you have

then explain using chemistry

make a set of tests for the plastic, like durability, have a look around to see what are good qualties to have in plastic...

then you can investigate what is the best recipe to use for the various recipes you have created

Crashy19

HSC
xiao1985 said:
water? you mean monitoring water quality? or water, a prelim chem course?
ar sorry water quality monitoring, i forgot we did water in yr11, it seems so long ago, well for chemistry anyway

Crashy19

HSC
i have a sheet that says for the research part:

1 current thinking in your area
2 chemistry concepts
3 environmental implications
4 future directions for research

if that helps for basic ideas on your area
(although i don't particuarly understand them myslef but i suppose that is what the teacher is there for...questions...and listening to my confusion of the whole subject)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Wait, hand on. I'm confused what you are asking now. You are asked to do an open ended research on water. And on the sheet it has above 4 dot points. Is my interpretation correct so far?!

Crashy19

HSC
xiao1985 said:
Wait, hand on. I'm confused what you are asking now. You are asked to do an open ended research on water. And on the sheet it has above 4 dot points. Is my interpretation correct so far?!

Well, we have an open ended question and i chose water.
the dot points were given as a starting point, and to help us collect and organise the correct info
but we can do anything from the HSC syllabus

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)