Open High School - German (1 Viewer)

Borbor

HSC
Does anyone here do German through Open High School? Share your experiences here!

Our school couldn't offer a German class so there are three of us in year 11 doing it through OHS. At first, it was really awkward in adapting to talking to a phone and no one to physically lecture you :lol:. But then I got used to it and now it's quite fun.

One thing though, when I went for my German day thing, it was amazing to see how many native speakers are allowed to take German! Das finde ich ganz unfair :\

Ezzzgi

HSC
Hello! Good idea with this topic - I was just thinking of starting one myself, when I saw this.

So, I've been doing it through Open High since Year 9 - one of two in my grade, and next year I'll be the only one. I didn't get to go to any of the open day things, because I had exams during one and the other was on the same day as area x-country or something or other. Huh, I agree about the native speakers though - that topic has its own thread though, and most people seem to think native speakers end up doing badly...

However, tell me, how are you managing to find OHS fun?? I'm finding it extremely repetitive. The exercises for each module are exactly the same - reply to a letter/email, read a passage and answer questions, write an article or something. I almost had a heart attack when I saw the crossword somewhere in Module 3! :p

I'm also finding it really hard to stay motivated, and I don't actually learn the languae properly. I'm only doing my work just before I send it in, pretty much. Oh, and during my 3 periods on Wednesday; yup, one whole school day for German... though that's coz I do 14 units :eek: Hmmm, I still haven't handed in Module 4 parts 4 or 5! :(

Oh, and sometimes the teachers are REALLY lost. My year 9/10 teacher thought I was someone else, and at the parent teacher evening told my dad how wonderful I was at German, but maybe I should reconsider wanting to do the HSC this year, because a little more practice might be good for me... I was in year 10!! *sigh*

And last year, in the yearly speaking test, the supervising teacher left us alone in the room, and she'd taken our tapes from us and fiddled around with them, and mixed up the envelopes. So I took the tape on top of my envelope, and recorded my stuff - over the top of the other girl's work! Which led to a whole lot of trouble, and she ended up doing a much simpler task over the phone.

I don't want you to think I'm only capable of complaining though - I'll admit the songs we have to listen to are pretty hilarious, and the work is quite easy. Especially at the start of this year, and the start of year 9. Actually, I don't think I've learnt anything new except for the past tense - I learnt the basics of everything else in years 7 & 8... but I forgot, so going over it is good. And I'm hopeless with cases and genders and everything; I can never remember!! Got any tips for that? Though it's pretty much just memorising. Just wondering though, whether the actual course is as easy as Open High? Or are other schools way ahead of us?

Who's your teacher? I've got Mrs Senkpiel. And how are the others doing it through Open High, from what you saw when you went there? Are there heaps of native speakers who're gonna thrash us?

Sorry for the length of this - I'll go back to studying for yearlies now :)

qwong92

HSC
Haha, bit of a late reply here.

I had Senkpiel too for preliminary, but since I'm picking up extension, I have to change to Uricher..

To be honest, I would much rather keep continuers with Senkpiel because she's a pretty good teacher, and it's much easier to keep the same teacher for the same course. I don't mind too much about getting a new teacher for extension though, because it's a new subject.

Ezzzgi said:
I'm also finding it really hard to stay motivated, and I don't actually learn the languae properly. I'm only doing my work just before I send it in, pretty much.
And as for the motivation in getting the work done, I have the same problem as you do. I always cram my work ><

Anyway, are you continuing with it for year 12? And are you doing extension?

Ezzzgi

HSC
qwong92 said:
are you continuing with it for year 12? And are you doing extension?
Yeah, I'm keeping it, and taking up extension as well. Hmm, maybe it's just me who finds Mrs Senkpiel kinda... "meh". Maybe she doesn't like me or something. But she was talking to me about my report mark and rank, and she didn't seem all that excited or anything, even though I did well. And she sent me a blank CD 1 for Module 4. Ah the joys of OHS =P

ashllis91

Banned
HSC
yeah i do it through OHS aswell... i hate it! im seriously unmotivated and im soo behind that its not funny (i havent sent away CP 15) ive got mr Keevil and hes ok... sends me funny cartoons in my CPs ... but im in Germany now and ive realised how much German i dont know... its given me a bit of motivation but... i dunno... i went to the lesson day things too... they were pretty crap im not really sure whether ill go next time... i didnt go that well in the exam either but all my mistakes were dumb (wrong gender, wrong verb form... stupid easy stuff) so im kinda pissed with that too... the modules are boring and really un useful in general everyday life, i havent ever needed to explain the australian school system, differences between Oz and Germany, a unit on how to order coffee, book a room in a hotel, explain that youre sick or get directions would be much more useful, i had to sigh language my whole way t´hrough all of it... it sucks

peter579

HSC
Im doing German at OHS atm. I would not choose it if you are an unmotivated person, cause believe me it does get very tiresome. You also are virtually teaching yourself, and this can become very hard (especially dealing with grammer), but overall i like the course.

X

xeuyrawp

I would honestly recommend getting a personal/group tutor if you're doing an OHS language. The contact is a really important part of learning the language.

Sydney German

HSC
N/A
Hi there, if you find studying German boring at OHS due to lack of interesting practice activities, why not look for additional things to do to keep you interested in the language, i.e. read German newspapers online: Alles ber Beauty, Mode, Styling, Stars, Schule und Aufklrung - Mdchen.de
Some libraries also have German and other foreign newspapers as well.

Or watch a German movies for listening comprehension. Your local DVD place should have a foreign movie section where you can take out DVDs. The is also a German movie playing at the dendy or palace cinemas at the moment which is very good. Here is a link to the trailer: The Baader Meinhof Complex - In Cinemas Now - BAFTA Nominee

There is also a German meetup group in Sydney, where you can practice speaking German with locals. Find a Meetup Group Near You! - German Language Meetups - Sydney
However, most meetups take place at the pub, so you need to be of age, or at least stick to soft drinks.

I hope that helps?

Cheers,
Natascha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)