• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

opinion needed (1 Viewer)

HSC
'Lebanese-Australians are violent in that they are attacking Indians in Australia and those who aren't, racially discriminate them’

- I personally believe that this is a stereotypical statement and so I fully disagree with it though it is very often brought up in my school. (I for one have nothing against Indians ... Or any other race for that matter)

Stereotypical statements as such, lead to unfair discrimination in which we judge people and groups based on our prejudices.

Behaviors by a member of a group should not be unfairly generalized to be viewed as a character of all members of that group.

Your opinions about this would be great, because my English teacher decided we should have a debate on the following statement in two weeks time at school

Haustier

HSC
Obviously it is dumb to stereotype and bla bla but yes generally the indians who get attacked live in areas where there are a lot of Lebanese and Islanders.

aussie-boy

HSC
Here's the thing... 90% of the time there is a violent assault/rape/robbery, the police description is "male of middle eastern appearance"

The lebanese seem to be the biggest group of middle eastern migrants so you guys get the blame

There's also the fact that a lot of lebanese people don't hang around exclusively with other lebs so dont get recognised as being lebanese at all - the only lebanese people that are notices are those hanging around in groups in the western suburbs

I do think there's an element of truth to it though, there are undoubtedly significant problems with Lebanese youth (in the same way one could identify the Vietnamese drug gangs of the 90s)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)