• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Overloading? (1 Viewer)

fantaztik2006

HSC
N/A
What are the general rules in terms of overloading for FCE?

Are you allowed to overload 6cp a semester?

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
FCE is strictly no overloading, but there are always ways to get around this depending on special situation.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
If you are doing a combined degree, you can overload through the other faculty.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Okay here goes. FCE will not allow (and are very strict) students to overload. Exceptions are made for students in their final year who will need to overload to 'catch up'.

Seraphim: technically, no if the combined degree is administered by the Commerce faculty eg. BCom/BSci. I know with the school of mathematics, they flaunt and bend the rules, and thats fine. I'm not sure about engineering and CSE, but you'll be assured that no life sciences school will overload you - they will all send you to commerce for the official 'no-you-cannot' line.

But yes, you can get around this. As for myself, I have been officially denied overload by both my science and commerce faculties. Thats when a little ingenious becomes quite useful.

So no you cannot overload, if you really want to, yes you can, although now I wish I didn't. I am happy with the fact that I got around the system, theres a sense of satisfaction there, but my marks weren't as good as a result of the extra workload.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
I wouldn't bother trying, unless:
1) You are very creative, and can think of something
2) You want to overload a Mathematics course - the school of Mathematics is famous for letting people overload (although its against official policy)
3) You are in your final year.
4) You have a burning desire to get around the system. See Point 1

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
The School of Maths initially let people overload because Honours subjects are offered on a 2-yr cycle - students could overload subject that wouldn't be offered in their Honours yr and have those subjects credited to their Honours yr.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)