Overloading (1 Viewer)

tlodg

HSC
N/A
What reasons are acceptable when it comes to applying to overload?
What did you guys do (or heard) that actually got you through....
Obviously for many people the reason is to accelerate your degree but I think just writing "I wish to graduate earlier" isn't gonna work. They'll tell you to take summer/winter school.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
1. You can overload to 30cp in one semester or 27 in both without applying for anything.
2. If you have a decent average (say 65-70+) the faculty will almost never say no, regardless of the reasons. In fact I'm pretty sure your average would have a much larger weighting on their decision than your reasons.

tlodg

HSC
N/A
Thanks, Waf! :)

I always thought we needed to lodge an application for it, using that application form from the SIO (I asked them and they said I need to??)

by the way does anyone know if the summer school subjects in 2007 will be similar (or identical) to those offered in 2006? would it be totally different.....
I checked out 2006's summer school brochure, it has many subjects available from the EcoBus faculty.... but in the Faculty handbook this year .. much fewer subjects are available (they show subjects offered in S1, S2 or both...but very few "Summer" ones)

Lainee

HSC
You need permission to exceed 24cps if you're in the Eco/Bus faculty.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Malfoy said:
You can't overload both semesters to 30cp?

Damn, there goes my plans for next year! I'm overloading this coming semester, and hopefully both semesters next year, so that when it comes to 3rd year prac teaching I have a bit of leeway with study load.
You can, you just need to talk to the faculty that administers your degree.

Lainee: My bad, I was just going by what myuni allowed me to do with my degree.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
How much you can overload depends on your circumstances and the faculty. I have heard that the Eco and Com faculty in a lot of unis do not allow overloading or require approval to do so.

For science and engineering, the max load you can take without permission per semester is 32cp. In engineering there is also a cap of 60cp per year. However in engineering it really depends on your marks. When I went to see Doug (A/Dean) before sem 1 results last year he was hesitant to sign anything, once they came out he didn't even bother asking.

Similarly in science, I've never had any trouble with showing cause why I should be allowed to overload. It's just signed off and done.

Skeeta

HSC
jpr333 said:
Are there any 1 cp subjects?
It again depends on the course

Our clinical subjects are one credit point because it cannot be a subject without been given a weighting or something apparently. So having a client in our clinic is a 1cp subject (although its alot more than 1cp in terms of time and commitment)

walrusbear

HSC
Malfoy said:
Aaah, thanks. The Arts faculty can't be tooooo harsh on that sort of thing, can they?
i overloaded to 30cps both semesters last year and it was no problem

i didn't realise there was a limit like that

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Maybe it's more because the uni will lose money if you study too much.

See we pay a flat rate once a year (although I defer them all to hecs), and if we take up more than usual who's gonna pay for the subjects?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
How much you pay is related to the load you take. It's not a flat load.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Templar said:
How much you can overload depends on your circumstances and the faculty. I have heard that the Eco and Com faculty in a lot of unis do not allow overloading or require approval to do so.

For science and engineering, the max load you can take without permission per semester is 32cp. In engineering there is also a cap of 60cp per year. However in engineering it really depends on your marks. When I went to see Doug (A/Dean) before sem 1 results last year he was hesitant to sign anything, once they came out he didn't even bother asking.

Similarly in science, I've never had any trouble with showing cause why I should be allowed to overload. It's just signed off and done.
I'm still getting rejected on skipping prerequisites. Goddamnit, just let me do it. If I fail it doesn't affect you in any way shape or form.

tlodg

HSC
N/A
I thought we could take up to 28cp/sem? why is it 24?

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
If the student is from the Economic and Business Faculty:

Administration Manual for the Faculty of Economic and Business said:
Exceeding a standard semester full-time load (Undergraduate students only)

Introduction

The standard full-time load for students is 24 credit points per semester (normally four units of study at first year level and three at second and third year level). Postgraduate students are not permitted to exceed the maximum allowable study load of 24 credit points per semester. Permission to exceed a standard full-time load is granted on the understanding that the student is fully responsible for their own academic performance and will not be entitled to any special consideration as a consequence of their increased workload.

Steps to Follow
1. The student obtains an Application to Exceed a Standard Semester Full-time Load form from http://www.econ.usyd.edu.au/forms/ or from the SIO.

2. The student completes the form and lodges it with the SIO by the deadline specified on the form.

3. The SIO notifies the student by email of the outcome of their application.

4. If the application is approved, the SIO will automatically enrol the student in the additional unit of study specified on the form.

5. The Student Centre will send an updated Confirmation of Enrolment by mail or email to the student.

The Rules

1. No student will be permitted to enrol in more than the equivalent of four full semester units of study in the first year of their award course.

2. Students with more than one Fail grade in two or more semesters will not be permitted to enrol in more than a standard full-time study load.

3. Students who have previously been granted permission to exceed the standard full-time study load in a semester and have failed a unit of study in the given semester will not be permitted to exceed the standard load again.

4. Students must have achieved a Credit average in order to be considered for exceeding a standard full-time load.

5. Students must provide good reason for applying to exceed the maximum allowable study load.
source or source

taco man

don't know don't care
HSC
I'm not really clear on rule 2, does it mean that if we fail more than once we can never overload??

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
It means if you fail more than twice then you can never overload.

sirius_g

HSC
Did anyone else here get approval for overloading? Cause I did and SIO told me that

" you must present this email to the Student Information Office to vary your enrolment by August 4th 2006."

I have to say that I think its really gay that I have to line up in SIO (yet again) when I already filled out the Exceeding the Standard Semester Form which had all the subjects I planned to do. I mean the e-mail came from SIO, they have the information, they approved me doing it , so why the hell do I have to present them with e-mail they sent me to vary my enrolment.

Did anyone else get a similar e-mail ? cos last year when I did overload they sent me an email saying I had been approved and my enrolment was updated.

Sirius

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)