Overseas students (1 Viewer)

eternity_

i'm just curious into wat ppl think about this:

in my skool (and probably alot of other skools) there are overseas students.. not that there is anything wrong wit overseas students.. it just pisses me off wen they come out of china or wherever and they have finished skool there and sometimes even university.. they like 20+ years old they come to australia and enrol in my yr.. i mean wat tha fuk is wit that.. wat chance do wit got with some1 who has already finished university.. how can we compete wit that.. they always get top of the class.. its just unfair..

Bunny04

VIVE LA FRANCE
Well for starters, Australia, NSW, Sydney- and fin
HSC
well they do have the disadvantage of the Language barrier, and if they want to do courses here such as Medicine, or a high Uni / UAI subject such as Undergrad Law, etc.... They have to do the HSC here.... There qualifications are worth nothing in Australia, thats why we have soo many Overseas students.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Its ok if they beat. In the end thatll help in the aligning process. Just do your best.

table for 1

dreaming... sigh...
HSC
N/A
i know how you feel, and i have a lot of subjects common with them which really sucks for me. i don't think most have completed uni, at my school, well, i don't talk to them much, but they've only studied in [or studying] high school and most are not 20 yet - in fact, i only know one who is 20. these students are just trying to find a better life for themselves, and they try their hardest in their studies, so why not give them a chance? yes, it is frustrating when they do really well, but they have still put in the effort to do so [even if it was in their old school]

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I liked having overseas students at our school - we weren't really competitive - but it gave us a good insight into their cultures and language. And one time we even had a german guy at an all girls school ;)

eternity_

Bunny04 said:
well they do have the disadvantage of the Language barrier, and if they want to do courses here such as Medicine, or a high Uni / UAI subject such as Undergrad Law, etc.... They have to do the HSC here.... There qualifications are worth nothing in Australia, thats why we have soo many Overseas students.
im not saying their qualifications will b worth anything here.. im just saying that they have gotten more of an education than us.. they have spent more years in skool/university.. but yeh i guess they do have the right.. but it does annoy me :p

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
my school is a languages school. international visitors come in and out of our school. they're damn smart at physics/chemistry/maths and their desired language. yet most of them on average would be about one or two years older than us. at most they will be 3 years older than us.

however, the competitveness will be there. they're killing us at our school. there is only one student doing 4u maths who isn't an international student and only about 5 do 3u maths.

almost all of them do at least 1 or two of the sciences. but i guess it is enjoyable to be friends with them. you learn much more of your heritage or another heritage. (i'm chinese)

Amryllis

HSC
lesmiester_dj said:
my school is a languages school. international visitors come in and out of our school. they're damn smart at physics/chemistry/maths and their desired language.
I'm not surprised that the international students excel at those subjects, especially if they're from Asia. The level of maths and science over there is far more advanced than in Australia. When I first came to Australia (I was almost 9) I found the maths here a joke. I couldn't believe they were still on easy times tables in year 4. That was something that kids would have done in year 2 in HK.

S

Sheehan :)

we got two overseas asain guys in our 3 unit math class.........there like 18 and 21 right. they like get a 100% in all the tests where we work hard and get like 90 and 80. it just pisses me of :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Amryllis said:
I'm not surprised that the international students excel at those subjects, especially if they're from Asia. The level of maths and science over there is far more advanced than in Australia. When I first came to Australia (I was almost 9) I found the maths here a joke. I couldn't believe they were still on easy times tables in year 4. That was something that kids would have done in year 2 in HK.
I'm Anglo-Saxon, but I agree with you. Australia's education system is down the shitter.

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
yeah, compared to China, Taiwan and HK, the maths here is a joke!!!

but I feel I benefit more from the Australian education system , it's more open-minded

although international students kick everyone's butts in maths, physics etc, they suffer from having to learn english at the same time. you think it's not a big problem for them, but it is. as someone had already said, they are just paying to get better education/more universally recognised diploma.

Amryllis

HSC
meLoncoLLie said:
yeah, compared to China, Taiwan and HK, the maths here is a joke!!!

but I feel I benefit more from the Australian education system , it's more open-minded

although international students kick everyone's butts in maths, physics etc, they suffer from having to learn english at the same time. you think it's not a big problem for them, but it is. as someone had already said, they are just paying to get better education/more universally recognised diploma.
I agree. I definitely prefer the Australian education system. I'd hate to be stuck in the insane HK education system! Primary school kids have homework loads heavier than the average junior high school student in Australia! Often kids in HK would do homework til almost midnight, especially if they go to an afternoon school which starts at 1pm and finishes at 6pm (approximate... I can't remember now!). Although Australia is still comparatively relaxed, it's becoming more competitive with so many more Asians migrating here.

The language barrier for international students is definitely a big problem. It's much harder for an adult to learn a new language than a child. Even though I came to Australia when I was almost 9, I had a hard time adjusting to the new environment and learning English. But it was good that I came early enough to get a good grasp of the language but late enough so that I still have memories of where I come from and be able to read/write/speak Chinese.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)