• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Overwhelmed (1 Viewer)

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
I have heard from a newly graduated friend that the classes at Sydney universities are very crowded with many seats allocated to overseas students is this true? (She chose ANU rather than any Syd uni's for this reason) Apparently it gets so bad that ppl are forced to sit on window sills if they arrive late for lectures.

As a student wishing to pursue commerce or eco I very much prefer any sydney university rather than ANU (I live in CAnberra) due to the environment/atmosphere and so on. But if the there is such an issue with with the uni's there then I would not go. Can anyone confirm or offer any insight into this issue?

--

In addition I'm preparing to leave home for study but find it nevertheless quite intimidating. Can anyone who has experienced this offer suggestions etc. on accomodation (i won't be living on campus) and anything else that is useful to aid me in this transition? Time management wise will I be likely to struggle in obtaining good grades or even survive!?

Cheers!

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
not sure on the international student bit...really depends on the course you're doing
commerce? then yeah prob heaps of international students

as for lectures being overcrowded..that's like in the first 2 weeks...after that most people end up jigging

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Sitting on window sills? It doesn't get THAT bad...

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
yeah the first few lectures are crowded, but thats coz the uni overenrolls to make up for ppl dropping out, which many ppl do, so after a few weeks its all fine.

Its hard to tell about the international students coz a lot of ppl who did the HSC in Aus are not your stereotypical "aussie" so by looking at a lecture theatre, theres no way you can judge. A fair few of the international students speak better english than some ppl who did their HSC here..... well thats my experience anyways...

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
What about getting help from lecturers etc.? Are there so many students that help is rarely recieved?

I plan to do commerce or eco and wondering whether anyone is enrolled in ne of those courses to share their views...

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
i found that lecturers are always willing to help students. But if there is a common question they usually discuss it in a lecture.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I havn't heard of any problems like this - beyond the first couple of weeks of term at either UNSW or USyd I've got a couple of friends at both who havn't had any trouble seeing lecturers one on one or being crowded in lectures.

Also I heard a rumour that the new regulations meant that this year universities would not be over-enrolling as it would result in a funding cut, so this should allieviate congestion in the first weeks.

If thats your only concern definately go to a Sydney uni I knoiw that UNSW and USyd are both very good and have great atmosphere, heard good things about the village (student acomodation) at USyd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)