Pachelbel Canon in D (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Oh Good Lord.

Why did you not tell me all the people into real music were hiding in here? Hooray for real instruments! Down with drumkits and guitars!

jayz

walking
Originally posted by babydoll_
i used to play for exams but i quit
funny u should say tat, heard on radio, some researcher said listening to it actually helps ur study, :)

babyslug

Too School For Cool
HSC
Yeah i heard that playing classical music softly in the background whilst you study is really good for you, and it helps you absorb more. Something about the music blocking out the 'emotional' side of your brain or something rather. So when you're listening to classical you don't feel as tired, or hungry, or the other things you might feel when you're studying. I did this doing my HSC, i think it worked for me. I don't think it works for all.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I always listen to "classical" (correct terms "art" and "serious") music though, and I find that it actually distracts me. I'm so used to analysing the music, or trying to pick the notes, or even fingering along with the individual instruments (usually clarinets or trumpets) that I just stop concentrating on my work. However, I haven't played the piano in so long that I can't be bothered doing any of the above with piano music. That's what I used for study. :)

cakes

hi
HSC
i love music too... i don't really "analyse" it, more like listen for compositional techniques and appreciating them :) which is why i like serialism.. i love olivier messiaen, especially "Quartet for the end of time"! it's like the best work ever composed in the 20th century in my opinion!!

jayz

walking
i listen to music that can relate to issues around or within me, classical music to me, presents a universal adaptableness relating to these issues, hence i find it to be very stress relief effective, i.e. attractive

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
If you want to listen to som bludgy composers, go for Bolero. Apparently Ravel could only be bothered coming up with ONE idea, so he just repeated it for ages. Then he stopped.

babyslug

Too School For Cool
HSC
oh but Ravel was good! I really don't like Bela Bartok. i could never really catch on.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
That was the idea! :p

He was a Romantic composer. He wrote to piss people off by not making any sense.

Another bludger is John Cage. First of all he couldn't be bothered writing any music at all, so they just call it "a musical landmark" when he publishes 4:33 (the performer just sits there silent for four and a half minutes). Feeling the need to improve on that, he "writes" a piece by drawing pictures on the stave. And by pictures I mean things like elephants and flower pots!

I mean, a composer is supposed to give the performer music to interpret. Here Cage is just telling the performer to do the work himself.

olay

HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
I always listen to "classical" (correct terms "art" and "serious") music though, and I find that it actually distracts me. I'm so used to analysing the music, or trying to pick the notes, or even fingering along with the individual instruments (usually clarinets or trumpets) that I just stop concentrating on my work.
^^ Rofl i entirely hear yah. i do exactly the same, i pick it apart analysing it by habit. its so distracting. LoL "normal" music however has no effect upon me in terms of distraction [except for the odd occassion where i have to dance :p].

i've sworn off Pachabel's canon. D: overplayed and plain annoying. :S especially when friends kept playing it. and playing it. EVERY LESSON. *cringes*. [and i used to love it ..] =/

and Ravel rocks :D

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Some bits in Pachelbel Canon in D is actually quite hard to play in legarto and personally i think it doesn't sound good if the legarto isn't happening.. lol.. our school band was invited to play Pachelbel Canon at a primary school 2 years ago i think, and everyone screwed up.. it was soooo emberassing :p Anyways, I've heard this girlfriend of my sister who played another arrangement of Pachelbel Canon from a Korean book or something a while ago and it was really wonderful :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)