Paradise Lost in Frankenstein (1 Viewer)

jackc91

rumpleshit
HSC
What is the significance of Paradise Lost in regards to Frankenstein? There is that quote at the start of the novel, a reference to the monster as Adam and the fact that the monster reads Paradise Lost. I am sure it holds some significance but can't figure it out.

ah.sport

HSC
N/A
there are a few references to paradise lost throughout the book..

most of them refer to the creature sin the garden of eden: ie adam, eve and satan.. there is a changing representation of the characters in Frankenstein, eg the monster starts out as satan but then moves to adam or the fallen angel as we find out that it is society that has caused his to become such a monster.

it is also used for references to victor as a god-like creature, that, in being able to create, he has played the role of god.

overall, all of the above come under shelley's context and what she values as a result of this. she believes that humans cannot take on the role of god because of their hubris and that attempting to do so will bring about a fall (maybe victor too is the fallen angel?)

Mone

HSC
1-the daemon referred himself to be like satan, casted down by the love and care of his creator.
"He had come forth form the hands of God a perfect creature, happy and prosperous, guarded by the especial care of his creator; he was allowed t o converse with and acquire knowledge helpless and alone. Many times I considered Satan as the fitter emblem of my condition; for often, like him, when I viewed the bliss of my protectors, the bitter gall of envy rose within me"
2-also the idea that the daemon was truely lonely.
quote, "Yet even that enemy of God and man had friends and associates in his desolation; I am alone." <- near the end

just more stuff to make the monster look more miserable and more work for us. oh, and the fact that Victor has no moral.

roar84eighty

HSC
N/A
she believes that humans cannot take on the role of god because of their hubris and that attempting to do so will bring about a fall
Agreed - the concept of hubris can be linked back to Blade Runner :)

_blank

HSC
Uni Grad
In Paradise Lost, God is frequently referred to as "the Victor".

You can draw analogies/inferences from the fact that Shelley was greatly influenced by Paradise Lost and chose the name Victor for the creator of the monster in Frankenstein.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)