• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Paragraph Development Idea - Is This Recommended? (1 Viewer)

TQuadded

Breaking the limits.
HSC
I've been thinking a lot on my essay structure lately. (English in general lol)

Is it recommended to introduce a thesis, talk about one side of it in the first paragraph, the flip side of it in the second, then discuss my opinion on the third, even if my opinion is saying that the previous things I've discussed are far less important than a much more significant aspect?

e.g. First paragraph = agree with question (X is...)
Second paragraph = disagree with question (However, Y is also...)
Third paragraph = overall opinion (While X and Y are true, Z is more important...)

Should I introduce the argument of the third paragraph in the introduction, or just introduce my argument for the first and second, then leave the third paragraph as a pre-conclusion-surprise opinion/conclusion? Or should I just not do this at all because it is a really dumb idea?

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A
Should I introduce the argument of the third paragraph in the introduction, or just introduce my argument for the first and second, then leave the third paragraph as a pre-conclusion-surprise opinion/conclusion? Or should I just not do this at all because it is a really dumb idea?
This sounds like a perfectly sensible way to approach a question which asks you to discuss a particular idea or theme. Introduce your overarching thesis (which will be primarily situated in your third paragraph) in your introduction. If you rely on 'surprise' twists of argument, then your essay is likely to come off as incoherent. Make sure that in the first and second paragraphs that you pay lip service to your overarching thesis so the marker doesn't think you've completely forgotten what you're talking about.

TQuadded

Breaking the limits.
HSC
This sounds like a perfectly sensible way to approach a question which asks you to discuss a particular idea or theme. Introduce your overarching thesis (which will be primarily situated in your third paragraph) in your introduction. If you rely on 'surprise' twists of argument, then your essay is likely to come off as incoherent. Make sure that in the first and second paragraphs that you pay lip service to your overarching thesis so the marker doesn't think you've completely forgotten what you're talking about.
What I meant was something like this: (super basic example)

Q: "Change may affect people in different ways."

TH: "Change can either positively or negatively impact a person."
P1: "Change can have a positive impact."
P2: "However, change can also have a positive impact."
P3: "While change can both impact a person positively and negatively, it is the fact that it allows us to take a break from our everyday lives that's more important."

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A
What I meant was something like this: (super basic example)

Q: "Change may affect people in different ways."

TH: "Change can either positively or negatively impact a person."
P1: "Change can have a positive impact."
P2: "However, change can also have a positive impact."
P3: "While change can both impact a person positively and negatively, it is the fact that it allows us to take a break from our everyday lives that's more important."
"it is the fact that it allows us to take a break from our everyday lives that's more important" should be a part of your thesis. In fact, it seems like it should just be your thesis, "change can either positively or negatively impact a person" doesn't seem very strong.

TQuadded

Breaking the limits.
HSC
"it is the fact that it allows us to take a break from our everyday lives that's more important" should be a part of your thesis. In fact, it seems like it should just be your thesis, "change can either positively or negatively impact a person" doesn't seem very strong.
Oh, I see what my problem is now. Everytime I make my thesis, I always attempt to break it down to explain in different paragraphs. (Sort of what I just did with paragraph 1 and 2.)

So maybe something like:

TH: "Although change can both impact a person positively and negatively, it is the fact that it allows us to take a break from our everyday lives that's more important."
P1: "Change is a risky process. However, the fact that it allows us to start anew outweighs its risks."
P2: "Both the positive and the negative impacts of change are vital parts in an exciting life."
P3: "Change must be accepted whenever it comes, for it may be refreshing, rewarding, or both."

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A
Oh, I see what my problem is now. Everytime I make my thesis, I always attempt to break it down to explain in different paragraphs. (Sort of what I just did with paragraph 1 and 2.)

So maybe something like:

TH: "Although change can both impact a person positively and negatively, it is the fact that it allows us to take a break from our everyday lives that's more important."
P1: "Change is a risky process. However, the fact that it allows us to start anew outweighs its risks."
P2: "Both the positive and the negative impacts of change are vital parts in an exciting life."
P3: "Change must be accepted whenever it comes, for it may be refreshing, rewarding, or both."
I like it, that's a far stronger way to approach the question and it relies on coherent discussion of multiple aspects of the question rather than dropping surprises on the marker. Keep in mind you're writing for tired teachers who have already marked 15 essays in addition to having taught all day. You want to make it as obvious as possible why your essay is different and why you deserve top marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)