• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Parametrics noob wants help (1 Viewer)

HighonPetrol

HSC
N/A
I was introduced to parametrics very recently. I am attempting to do some questions to transform parametrics to Cartesian equations. What I was told is that you just combine the parametrics in such a way that the theta is removed. I'm struggling here but that's being new. I wasnt told how to find the domain for the Cartesian forms though. Some questions allow me to intuitively find the domain, such as one including x=cos(t), given t is between 0 and 2pie. But others have me clueless. Any general tips or just spam questions and learn how to find each type of domain from getting questions wrong?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Can you show us an example of one having you 'clueless'?

Also, its pi not pie =)

Although pie is delicious.

math man

HSC
N/A
if parametric eqns involve trig functions, i.e x=cost y = sint or different forms i.e. x=acost + b y=csint + d then what you will go in general is always
try and make the sint and cost the subject in each subject. Then you will square both sides because when you want to eliminate trig function parameters
we will make use of the infamous trig identities mostly every time which involves the square of each and we either add each eqn or subtract depending
on which trig identity we need to use

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)