• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Past Schoolies Of 2000-2005, Help Needed!!! (1 Viewer)

HSC
IF YOU HAVE 2-3 MINUTES TO SPARE, COULD YOU PLEASE FILL OUT THIS SCHOOLIES QUESTIONNAIRE???? IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECITATED!!!! THANK YOU IN ANTICIPATION OF YOUR ASSISTANCE!!!!

Hello, my name is Cat and I am currently a Year 12 student at ASC ST. MARYS CAMPUS. I am currently conducting a Personal Interest Project as part of my requirements to complete the two units Society & Culture Course for the HSC. My research area is on "WHETHER OR NOT THE MEDIA PRESENTS AN ACCURATE POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE PORTRAYAL OF THE EVENT SCHOOLIES". You will remain anonymous throughout this process; your answers will be solely used for the purpose of my assessment only.

NB: BOLD YOUR ANSWERS WHERE POSSIBLE.

1. Please specify your age_______

2. Please tick your gender.
Female
Male

3. In what year did you attend Schoolies
Before 2002, please specify __________

4. Where did you go to participate in Schoolies?

Gold Coast
Port Macquarie
Byron Bay
Whit Sundays
Cruise
Other, please specify

5. As a Schoolies participant, how much did you know about the event itself before you went?

All there is to know
I had heard some different things about it
I knew a fair bit, but I wish I had known more
I knew very little to almost nothing about Schoolies

6. Where did you gain a majority of your Schoolies Information

Family members
Friends
Past Schoolies
Newspapers
Magazines
Television
Internet
Other, please specify

7.When you went to Schoolies with your knowledge of Schoolies, was it anything like you expected it to be? Why?

8.Did the media have an affect on the decisions you and/or your family made on whether or not to participate in Schoolies?

*Yes, it had a lot of influence in my decision on Schoolies.
*It had a some affect on my decision
*No, it mainly had an affect on my families views on Schoolies
*No, it had no affect on my decision at all.

9. Did the media affect the way in which your “Schoolies” event was portrayed? If so, was it a positive or negative portrayal of your time at Schoolies?

In 2005, the media has portrayed mostly a negative view on Schoolies. Words such as violent, out of control, fights, bashings, rape, drugs, alcohol abuse and public nuisance were frequently used throughout the media.

10.Do you believe that this is a fair portrayal of Schoolies? Why or why not?

11.“The whole thing is a bloody disgrace, Schoolies must stop” DJ John Miller.
Do you agree or disagree with this statement and why?

12. Do you have any further comments to make on Schoolies, or the media’s portrayal of Schoolies? OR any suggestions about this questionnaire or my Project that you would like to mention? Thank you for your time!!!!

liquimalish

Liquid Malisha- HOLLA
HSC
1. Please specify your age: 18

MALE

Gold Coast

5. As a Schoolies participant, how much did you know about the event itself before you went?

All there is to know

Family members
Past Schoolies

7.When you went to Schoolies with your knowledge of Schoolies, was it anything like you expected it to be? Why?
Yes it was everything I’d expected, just an unexplainably good time

8.Did the media have an affect on the decisions you and/or your family made on whether or not to participate in Schoolies?

*No, it had no affect on my decision at all.

9. Did the media affect the way in which your “Schoolies” event was portrayed? If so, was it a positive or negative portrayal of your time at Schoolies?

Negative portrayal of the event

No it was not a fair portrayal in the week we went there was only one act of violence shown towards any member of our group (12 people) and they were dealt with

Until you have been you can’t describe how it is, I felt completely safe the whole time and I have a feeling Mr. Miller is only referring to the much publicised nights instead of the very productive days

12. Do you have any further comments to make on Schoolies, or the media’s portrayal of Schoolies? OR any suggestions about this questionnaire or my Project that you would like to mention? Thank you for your time!!!!

Media are a bunch a dicks that are only around to sell their stories, everyone wants to hear horror stories just to blacklist the event further.

nwatts

HSC
1. Please specify your age 18

Male

Great Keppel Island

I had heard some different things about it

Friends

7.When you went to Schoolies with your knowledge of Schoolies, was it anything like you expected it to be? Why? No, it didn't match my expectations. I was disappointed with the quality of the accomodation and food. I was also disappointed with the level of night activity on the island in comparison to the abundance of water sports throughout the day.

No, it mainly had an affect on my families views on Schoolies

In 2005, the media has portrayed mostly a negative view on Schoolies. Words such as violent, out of control, fights, bashings, rape, drugs, alcohol abuse and public nuisance were frequently used throughout the media.

Our particular resort wasn't covered much, but it was certainly a negative view. All schoolies mainstream media is.

Fair in relation to what? News has its audience. Preaching the glories of schoolies isn't what people want to read, because it promotes a liberalism our society is capable of accepting. Read a left-wing student paper and you'll get a positive view of how schoolies advocates and encourages freedom among the youth of Australia.

Disagree. Compare the level of enjoyment and satisfaction the majority of schoolies kids have coming from a week of schoolies to those who don't find schoolies the most fortunate of encounters. Schoolies promotes enjoyment and freedom. No where is it obligatorily dangerous.

Make sure you consider the philosophy of media organisations before you jump to conclusions.

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
1. Please specify your age 21 (close enough to, see the ticker)

Female

Other: Fingal Bay (Newcastle)

All there is to know

Friends
Newspapers
Magazines
Television

7.When you went to Schoolies with your knowledge of Schoolies, was it anything like you expected it to be?
well where my grade went it was nothing like the typical gold coast experience, but i much preferred what we did. better than i'd hoped for.

*It had a some affect on my decision

9. Did the media affect the way in which your “Schoolies” event was portrayed?
media had nothing to do with my experience

drugs, alcohol abuse, public nuisance - i fulfulled all three.
as for the rest, none of my grade did any of those. i think we were mostly all a little too chilled.

no, but people just need to learn not to be fuckheads about it. i believe it's probably the people who have never used alcohol/drugs before that end up being the worst because they're trying something new and overdo it.
however, in saying that, for me it was a first time using amphetamines and i certainly didn't go out and act stupid (i just sat on a verandah talking shit for 10 hours)

12. Do you have any further comments to make on Schoolies, or the media’s portrayal of Schoolies? OR any suggestions about this questionnaire or my Project that you would like to mention?
umm...not that i can think of right now, but i don't have a lot of brain right now!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)