• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Paths to Ph.D's? (1 Viewer)

Callistogenic

HSC
Paths to PhD's?

Is it possible after earning honours to go directly into a PhD course, or must you do masters, then go onto PhD?

Last edited:

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Bachelors -> Honours Class 1/2a -> PhD
Bachelors -> Honours Class 2b/3 -> Masters -> PhD (if did good in masters)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
Bachelors -> Honours Class 1/2a -> PhD
Bachelors -> Honours Class 2b/3 -> Masters -> PhD (if did good in masters)
Alternatively:

Bachelors -> Masters -> PhD

I'm sure there are some diploma stuff in other pathways as well.

Callistogenic

HSC
santaslayer said:
yeah...coz someone asked a similar question like....a year ago. :p
Well, I wasn't to know. While not exactly the newest member around these parts, I only got custom status a few days ago. :p Besides, I think hipsta_jess likes to show off her authority.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
err it depends which uni and which department.
some unis you need a high first class hons in maths to undertake PhD
either that or very very good results in third year classes to make up for a 2nd class d1

with regards to masters you'll need masters by research as opposed to masters by coursework, which is kind of trashy

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
shannonm said:
err it depends which uni and which department.
some unis you need a high first class hons in maths to undertake PhD
either that or very very good results in third year classes to make up for a 2nd class d1

with regards to masters you'll need masters by research as opposed to masters by coursework, which is kind of trashy
Hey, don't knock masters by coursework. Coursework masters are more for people who are undertaking postgraduate education as a part of training and developing skills instead of researching so many coursework masters students don't even contemplate doing a PhD, hence why a lot of coursework masters are not available as research masters and vice versa.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Raiks said:
Hey, don't knock masters by coursework. Coursework masters are more for people who are undertaking postgraduate education as a part of training and developing skills instead of researching so many coursework masters students don't even contemplate doing a PhD, hence why a lot of coursework masters are not available as research masters and vice versa.
What is the difference between coursework Masters and research Masters, except the obvious, like which careers use which?

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Korn said:
What is the difference between coursework Masters and research Masters, except the obvious, like which careers use which?
It's not so much the career but what you want to do after it. If you want to follow the path of doing a PhD and further research than a Masters by research is appropriate but many people enroll in a masters just for that. A Masters by coursework involves the same Masters but with no major thesis and a larger focus on exams, and smaller assessments.

A lot of people do coursework majors at it's beneficial if they are doing the Masters part-time while working and coursework is more fitting for building skills and knowledge for the workplace rather than a research masters which is a focus of overall knowledge and research skills.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Raiks said:
It's not so much the career but what you want to do after it. If you want to follow the path of doing a PhD and further research than a Masters by research is appropriate but many people enroll in a masters just for that. A Masters by coursework involves the same Masters but with no major thesis and a larger focus on exams, and smaller assessments.

A lot of people do coursework majors at it's beneficial if they are doing the Masters part-time while working and coursework is more fitting for building skills and knowledge for the workplace rather than a research masters which is a focus of overall knowledge and research skills.
So ppl who want to write books and be in academia do research, whereas ppl in the business field, that are in the workplace managing and running companies do coursework?

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
natstar said:
I couldent do a PHd... I was talking to a guy last night who was using the computer next to me, he's doing is 3rd MBA at the moment. 1 in marketing, 1 in applied finance and now in accounting. Thats insane
Yes that is, what career is he in

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Korn said:
So ppl who want to write books and be in academia do research, whereas ppl in the business field, that are in the workplace managing and running companies do coursework?
Most of the time, although a lot of it comes down to personal preferences. As some like to do research thesis' rather than do more exams and assessments whereas others don't like writing research thesis'.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
natstar said:
I dunno. He's from Lebenon. He told me that as long as his dad sends money over, he will continue to study.
How come ur online icon, isnt lit up when ur online

shannonm

HSC
N/A
Raiks said:
In the context of 'Paths to PhDs'

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
shannonm said:
In the context of 'Paths to PhDs'
Then i'd using words like 'irrelevant' or 'not idealisitc' rather than 'trashy' when describing a Masters by coursework. But it was only a small point.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Raiks said:
Then i'd using words like 'irrelevant' or 'not idealisitc' rather than 'trashy' when describing a Masters by coursework. But it was only a small point.
Are there PhDs for business, in Australia or are they called something else, like Professional Doctorate

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Korn said:
Are there PhDs for business, in Australia or are they called something else, like Professional Doctorate
PhD's are PhD's... it's not a classification between research and coursework, just the trends for which the qualifications such as business and research they are used in.

Masters by Coursework's only real benefit is that it provides the ability for a student to avoid doing a research thesis for their degree and replacing that thesis with extra smaller smaller assessments. Nothing else really changes besides the fact that sometimes many high postgrad degrees such as PhDs etc require a thesis for entry into the course.

The popular line of thinking is that 'why write a 20,000 word thesis when I don't have to'... and that's where the Masters by Coursework fits in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)