• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

PDHPE or SLR? (1 Viewer)

Glubglub

HSC
Hello!
I am in Year 10 and am deciding my subjects in less than a month for year 11. I have 11 units so far and am trying to decide on my last 1-2 units. I want to do physio in uni and I enjoy physical activity so I have ruled down my options to PDHPE (Health and movement science) and SLR.
PDHPE pros:
  • Interesting content
  • Useful for my dream to be a physiotherapist
PDHPE cons:
  • Content heavy apparently and I am worried about workload for Year 11, especially with me taking the math accelerated HSC next year
  • 12 markers. I've heard you have to write 2-4 pages for these, and there are like, 4 of them in one exam
SLR pros:
  • Easy and provides a nice little outlet for my stress as well as a break from my other subjects
  • I enjoy being physically active
SLR cons:
  • I know people who have said they hated (they didn't specify why)
  • I really haven't heard much about it
  • I haven't heard of people who want a high ATAR doing it

Would I be cooked trying to do PDHPE as a math kid who hates writing and am pretty bad at it? Is SLR as bad as people have told me?

randomuser246

HSC
I think to do well in PDHPE you have to be interested in the content. I would classify myself as more of a maths kid but still enjoy and do well in PDHPE because I’m interested in the work. There is a specific way to write in PDHPE so when you mastered that it’s not too bad even with higher mark value questions.

Glubglub

HSC
I think to do well in PDHPE you have to be interested in the content. I would classify myself as more of a maths kid but still enjoy and do well in PDHPE because I’m interested in the work. There is a specific way to write in PDHPE so when you mastered that it’s not too bad even with higher mark value questions.
I've heard it's changing to Health and Movement Science for my cohort. Do you know what will be changing in the course?

randomuser246

HSC
I've heard it's changing to Health and Movement Science for my cohort. Do you know what will be changing in the course?
I don’t know much about it but they are replacing the options with collaborative investigation and depth studies. I don’t know how this will be assessed in the HSC

HSC
i think it would be helpful to know the rest of ur subjects. i do both of them, however i chose SLR as i know my other subjects will kill me (in terms of workload) and I also have my extension units, so I can drop SLR as well as another 2U subject :awesome:

Glubglub

HSC
i think it would be helpful to know the rest of ur subjects. i do both of them, however i chose SLR as i know my other subjects will kill me (in terms of workload) and I also have my extension units, so I can drop SLR as well as another 2U subject :awesome:
These are my others:
Math Extension 1
English Advanced
Biology
Chemistry
SOR 2

HSC
These are my others:
Math Extension 1
English Advanced
Biology
Chemistry
SOR 2
personally, i think u should take PDHPE. the sciences u picked, bio and chem, can be rly difficult n u might choose to drop one in yr 12, however if u pick SLR u will likely have to drop only SLR. additionally, the bio n pdhpe content can cross over a bit (eg cellular respiration), so that would make PDHPE the better choice. although, don’t be scared to choose SLR, as u can drop 2 subjects (4 units) in yr 12 if u pick up math ext 2 (1 more unit). good luck selecting ur subjects!

mvrcuriee

#1 SK
HSC
Hello!
I am in Year 10 and am deciding my subjects in less than a month for year 11. I have 11 units so far and am trying to decide on my last 1-2 units. I want to do physio in uni and I enjoy physical activity so I have ruled down my options to PDHPE (Health and movement science) and SLR.
PDHPE pros:
  • Interesting content
  • Useful for my dream to be a physiotherapist
PDHPE cons:
  • Content heavy apparently and I am worried about workload for Year 11, especially with me taking the math accelerated HSC next year
  • 12 markers. I've heard you have to write 2-4 pages for these, and there are like, 4 of them in one exam
SLR pros:
  • Easy and provides a nice little outlet for my stress as well as a break from my other subjects
  • I enjoy being physically active
SLR cons:
  • I know people who have said they hated (they didn't specify why)
  • I really haven't heard much about it
  • I haven't heard of people who want a high ATAR doing it

Would I be cooked trying to do PDHPE as a math kid who hates writing and am pretty bad at it? Is SLR as bad as people have told me?
I also love math (taking adv) and I'm taking PDHPE and performed quite well. PDHPE is different to junior years but the content is very interesting and it is easy to refine writing skills. 12 markers are only given in year 12 and your teacher will prepare and give you feedback.
PDHPE core 2 in year 11 & year 12 also links over with biology so it benefits you even further.
SLR is non-atar so take it how you will and it's pretty repetitive from what my friends tell me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)