• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

People who have dropped out or wanting to drop out (1 Viewer)

lolzieee

rOosters ^_-
i'm suprised that so many people from here are either contemplating dropping out or have actually dropped out from uni :(.
Anyway, if you are one of these people.. what do you plan to do now? And what were your main reasons for dropping out?
i'm just curious :confused: :

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Since no one was replying, I decided to step up on my soapbox ;)

I considered in 02' to drop out of my science degree whilst I was at UNSW, but reconsidered doing so since I probably had a better chance transferring if I stuck it out rather than drop out.

Hell, I wouldn't know what I would do if I dropped out.

I guess people have their reasons for dropping out, or contemplating to do so. My main reason was that I didn't like my degree - but not enough to drop it altogether - uni seemed too important to drop out of, in my opinion that is.

Well, that was sort of pointless <3

~Perfection

-Funked Up-
HSC
I am either dropping out, applying for a leave of absence or going to try and change to part time. I am going in to speak to them tomorrow.

I am then going to work for my brother full time (reception work) and most probably do a night/part time course either next semester or next year.

The reason why i am leaving/cutting back is because i do not have the passion for B Sci as i thought i would, and in fact, cannot stand it... so me being there feels a bit like a waste of time. Also, i think i need a small break from study and realise i should have taken a year off after yr 12.

I'd rather leave uni doing something i hate, and go to TAFE doing someting i enjoy..

Ok, thats my summarised 2 cents. :)

peepee

loser.
HSC
didn't like the course and didn't think i could chin it for the next semester or year
i'm not usually like that....i would usually keep trying but i don't know. i'm weak.
but i don't regret dropping out
i have a shit job at a cafe atm but i intend on getting a better one... hope to start tafe in semester 2 to do tourism management and maybe transfer back into uni when i finish the diploma.
but even if i don't get back into uni then that's ok as well, just as long as i'm doing what i want to do
so yeah main reason is my personal happiness really...
my parents hate me now. i was already the black sheep in the family....by dropping out of uni i just got a whole lot blacker
but i dont care anyway
i don't care how long it takes, just as long as i don't have to do science anymore.

~Perfection

-Funked Up-
HSC
Originally posted by peepee
didn't like the course and didn't think i could chin it for the next semester or year
i'm not usually like that....i would usually keep trying but i don't know. i'm weak.
but i don't regret dropping out
i have a shit job at a cafe atm but i intend on getting a better one... hope to start tafe in semester 2 to do tourism management and maybe transfer back into uni when i finish the diploma.
but even if i don't get back into uni then that's ok as well, just as long as i'm doing what i want to do
so yeah main reason is my personal happiness really...
my parents hate me now. i was already the black sheep in the family....by dropping out of uni i just got a whole lot blacker
but i dont care anyway
i don't care how long it takes, just as long as i don't have to do science anymore.
sorry to hear about your parents :( luckly for me, mine dont mind what i do, aslong im doing something and im happy.
but at the end of the day, you're the one thats going to be putting in the work and doing it most probably for the rest of your life, so you need to be happy :)

And i agree, doing a science, when its not your passion and you dont want to work in anything related to it, is just too hard. Not only can it get complex but if you dont want to be there, then is just harder then was it really is. I kept thinking to myself "why and i mixing these solutions? this isnt want i want to do"

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
I agree with the science is a crock of shit view, and I still hold the opinion that you have to love something to study it. But I still thought that a lot more people would stick it out until at least the end of the year (or even the session). Man, you've already been charged HECS for the subjects, you might as well get the credentials for it.

I do understand the entire "do what I want to be happy" thing, but I don't think people should be so rash about dropping out when they suddenly get all "woe is me".

HSC
N/A
about studying something you love.....
If I went with that idea I would be doing media production @ penrith....but instead I went with business cause I wanted to get a business/law transfer...not that I'm particularly interested in law or business I just thought it'll be good to study it "career-wise" and I just wanna do law cause a business/law degree sounds better than just a business degree.....
but I'm hating my course at the moment.....I think I've complained enough so I won't go there.....
I'm transfering next semester...hopefully....
and I still don't know what I should do...
should I go with something I love or something that will get me a job and $$
....but I'm not too interested about doing the media course at penrith cause its too far from where I live and its stupid if I have to transfer into it cause I could have just got in straight out of yr 12.....
and I'm not sure if I'll make the transfer to another uni.......
aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh :mad1:
its like a pingpong match going on in my head.....

Malazn Pleasure

External Auditor
HSC
im going to drop out as well

and hopefully try n find a full time job n do uni part time

memo

Originally posted by boredofschool
should I go with something I love or something that will get me a job and $$
I started with something I love and changed to something that hopefully would get me a job. I realised I dont have the luxury of doing something I love and ending up in a crap job. Funny thing is I'm working part time now teaching what I studied initally without even finishing the degree.

~Perfection

-Funked Up-
HSC
Originally posted by memo
I started with something I love and changed to something that hopefully would get me a job. I realised I dont have the luxury of doing something I love and ending up in a crap job. Funny thing is I'm working part time now teaching what I studied initally without even finishing the degree.
:eek:
what are you teaching?

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
i dropped out because the course bored me to death. I would have failed the courses i picked this sem anyway from lack of attendance so it was drop or fail and be suspended (in my mind). If i had known abt a leave of absence i might have taken that just to please my parents so they wouldnt think i was just dropping out and becoming a bum.

not that i wasnt already a bum, now its jsut more official.

My parents don't give a shit. And frankly enuff neither do i at the moment. Which is also part of the reason i dropped, i did a year of the course and my parents still don't know what i studied.. they don't even know what the course was called. Their apathy, and a hefty chunk of my own made the course even more unbareable to put up with. so yeah it had to go. (note: i am weak, i have no commitment, and no motivation to do anything. just to make sure u were clear on that)

So now? job hunting when i can be bothered. Hopefully i'll find something lazy and easy to do so i can spend kudos of hours on IRC and at home. I think i'll apply at TAFE and try the librarians course thing there. See if i can manage to turn up to that, then maybe later continue it at uni and graduate from that. (its doubtful, but its wat i told my parents and anyone else who asks.)

Malazn Pleasure

External Auditor
HSC
i reckon it would b sweet to just wake up n stay at home n sleep in n hv nothing to do rather than waking up so early inthe morning n hving to go to work/uni

layzie bone

Yeah I'm out of uni, because like PeePee. I hated the course (we do the same course in the same uni). Also, travel and location was another factor, maybe because I gave up before I settled in. I decided that TAFE would be much better for me for now... I'm going back to uni, but it could be sometime (hopefully next year, but if not then too bad).

theone123

blue essence
HSC
i didnt intend to do science, but if u try hard enuf and understand, im sure, u will get the hang of it and also do well in it, i personally wanna do biz/comp but couldnt get into it, now im trying to the max to transfer or if i start to enjoy science i prob. stay...

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Malazn Pleasure
im going to drop out as well

and hopefully try n find a full time job n do uni part time

isnt that what ur doing now anyway?

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
No offence to anyone, but I think taking up a career you don't like just for the money factor is a bit stupid. In the end you'll have money, but no personal satisfaction in what you're doing.

HSC
N/A
then do you think its better to have personal satisfaction and face the chances of an unstable career?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)