Person ranked first in cohort not doing HSC (1 Viewer)

kevindebruyne

HSC
A person who is ranked first in one of my subjects is not doing the HSC due to personal reasons, and will be getting a moderated mark instead. Will this possibly impact my and the rest of my cohort in any way?

zizi2003_

HSC
What if someone gets ranked first internally. And then just gives up and flukes the HSC.
Would they still steal the top exam mark since they are ranked first internally
No lol I wish.
the person ranked first only gets the top external mark as their own internal mark, but their external mark remains unchanged

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
The student is ranked first, meaning that as per the moderation process, their Assessment Mark will be adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark achieved by any student in your cohort for that subject. The difference in this particular case is that the Assessment Mark they receive will become their HSC mark (final mark) for that subject because they cannot sit its HSC exam (provided illness and misadventure is upheld). There is no effect on the rest of the cohort since the moderation and alignment processes will apply to every other student's Assessment Mark and Examination Mark respectively.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Wait what!? So if they got internals of 100, the. Then they would get hsc mark of 100?
Since the student ranked first internally will not be sitting the HSC exam of a particular subject, it is up to the student who achieves the highest Examination Mark in OP's cohort to determine such an outcome, i.e. the highest Examination Mark needs to be 100 for the student ranked first internally to receive 100 as his Assessment Mark (and in this particular case their HSC mark, provided illness and misadventure is upheld).

kevindebruyne

HSC
The student is ranked first, meaning that as per the moderation process, their Assessment Mark will be adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark achieved by any student in your cohort for that subject. The difference in this particular case is that the Assessment Mark they receive will become their HSC mark (final mark) for that subject because they cannot sit its HSC exam (provided illness and misadventure is upheld). There is no effect on the rest of the cohort since the moderation and alignment processes will apply to every other student's Assessment Mark and Examination Mark respectively.
So what happens if theoretically the top 5 people all pull out and get their marks moderated? If I'm say the 5th person, who's moderated mark will I take? Does that mean that I get the 10th persons mark and would get lower than I could have gotten if the top 4 did not also pull out? (assuming that internal ranks predict external ranks exactly)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
So what happens if theoretically the top 5 people all pull out and get their marks moderated? If I'm say the 5th person, who's moderated mark will I take? Does that mean that I get the 10th persons mark and would get lower than I could have gotten if the top 4 did not also pull out? (assuming that internal ranks predict external ranks exactly)
Keep in mind that only the highest and lowest Assessment Marks are adjusted to precisely equal the highest and lowest Examination Marks respectively. The Assessment Marks for other ranks will likely not be identical to their equivalent Examination Marks, although they will be similar. Consider the following example from NESA:

1635816920196.png

In the case of the student ranked second, the second-highest Examination Mark was 80, whereas the Moderated Assessment Mark for the student ranked second was 77.

If the top 5 students in a cohort do not sit the HSC exam for a particular subject, the cohort may be negatively impacted because it is likely that those 5 students are academically capable, hence the standard for that cohort are lowered. In such a case, the student ranked 6th will have a higher chance of receiving the highest Examination Mark since it is likely that they are the best performing student after the top 5. However, the Examination Mark received by that student will likely be lower than the Examination Mark that the student ranked first would have achieved had they sat the HSC exam for that subject.

kevindebruyne

HSC
Keep in mind that only the highest and lowest Assessment Marks are adjusted to precisely equal the highest and lowest Examination Marks respectively. The Assessment Marks for other ranks will likely not be identical to their equivalent Examination Marks, although they will be similar. Consider the following example from NESA:

View attachment 33059

In the case of the student ranked second, the second-highest Examination Mark was 80, whereas the Moderated Assessment Mark for the student ranked second was 77.

If the top 5 students in a cohort do not sit the HSC exam for a particular subject, the cohort may be negatively impacted because it is likely that those 5 students are academically capable, hence the standard for that cohort are lowered. In such a case, the student ranked 6th will have a higher chance of receiving the highest Examination Mark since it is likely that they are the best performing student after the top 5. However, the Examination Mark received by that student will likely be lower than the Examination Mark that the student ranked first would have achieved had they sat the HSC exam for that subject.

Thanks, but wouldn't the 6th person for sure get the top Examination Mark because he is now first?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks, but wouldn't the 6th person for sure get the top Examination Mark because he is now first?
Not necessarily. While it is true that the student ranked 6th has performed the best internally compared to the rest of the students in the cohort who will be sitting the HSC exam of a particular subject and is therefore expected to achieve the highest Examination Mark, this in no way actually guarantees that they will achieve the highest Examination Mark. For example, the student ranked 7th may make a substantial effort that is sufficient for them to achieve the highest Examination Mark.

icycledough

HSC
So essentially, a student who comes first in internals isn't guaranteed first for externals (although quite likely), while likewise, a person who may be in the top 5 could potentially come first in externals (not too likely, but still a possibility)

kevindebruyne

HSC
Not necessarily. While it is true that the student ranked 6th has performed the best internally compared to the rest of the students in the cohort who will be sitting the HSC exam of a particular subject and is therefore expected to achieve the highest Examination Mark, this in no way actually guarantees that they will achieve the highest Examination Mark. For example, the student ranked 7th may make a substantial effort that is sufficient for them to achieve the highest Examination Mark.
Thanks v much :)

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
So essentially, a student who comes first in internals isn't guaranteed first for externals (although quite likely), while likewise, a person who may be in the top 5 could potentially come first in externals (not too likely, but still a possibility)
so pre much high correlation between first internal and first external. thank god I thought it was whoever gets first internally has their external marks the threshold and everyone else gets scaled lower.

uniqueusername1

HSC
so pre much high correlation between first internal and first external. thank god I thought it was whoever gets first internally has their external marks the threshold and everyone else gets scaled lower.
yea same thats the mentality of some of my mates. They think cause they came 2nd now they'll get 2nd highest external marks so they snoozed.

uniqueusername1

HSC
100%

theres alot of misconception that coming 1st internally will guarantee you get the highest external mark even if you flunk the exam

icycledough

HSC
Which is why people who have incredible internal ranks will 99% of the time ace their externals exam. Especially if you go to a selective school, you notice just how much easier the externals are compared to internals, especially for subjects like 4U, where schools like to take the piss with their exams

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)