• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Personal trainers (1 Viewer)

rozymisty

HSC
I started going back to the gym a few weeks ago after a long absense due to the eye op and being lazy. I saw the PT in the gym with another girl, who i had done a few PT sessions with when i got my gym membership for free sessions and i thought it would be good to do a few more

Now ive gotten a pack of 10 PT 30min sessions for $50 each, 2 times a week, alternating each session between upper and lower body.

Now the first one we did, lower body, i could barely walk for 3 days which is expected coz my...what muscle i have is getting activated. Then on Wednesday, we did some upper body, did some chest press and started off with 5kg whcih ive never done, and iwe lowered it down to 2kg and i was struggling with that. I felt the arms like were about to cramp up and i was in a lot of pain. I was naturally sore and shaking afterwards.

Thursday we did lower body and did something on the ball where im lying down on a mat and have my legs up at an angle on the ball and lift up the legs...like a thing where you raise your whole body up, but the ball is touching your bum.
Now she was saying that i got to use the shoulders to balance, but i could really feel it through my neck.
That night i was at work and turned to the left and i couldnt move my neck without pain. The past few days its been painful, while the rest of the body is naturally sore. Suprisingly the legs werent as painful as last week....it was the arms.

So yeah, just wondering if you think 50 a session is worth it?

Im looking at doing the 12 week challenge which starts on the 22nd, coz i really want to get fit. Im sick of having back pain and being just in the obese weight range.....i used to be 55kg..now im like 30kg heavier and miserable.

Pace_T

HSC
well i dont have or even considered one, ever, and i still think $50 is a bit pricy.
surely a few sessions is enough for you to learn a great routine and background info for you to continue on your own. unless motivation is an issue?

Nat3skiz

HSC
rozymisty said:
I started going back to the gym a few weeks ago after a long absense due to the eye op and being lazy. I saw the PT in the gym with another girl, who i had done a few PT sessions with when i got my gym membership for free sessions and i thought it would be good to do a few more

Now ive gotten a pack of 10 PT 30min sessions for $50 each, 2 times a week, alternating each session between upper and lower body.

Now the first one we did, lower body, i could barely walk for 3 days which is expected coz my...what muscle i have is getting activated. Then on Wednesday, we did some upper body, did some chest press and started off with 5kg whcih ive never done, and iwe lowered it down to 2kg and i was struggling with that. I felt the arms like were about to cramp up and i was in a lot of pain. I was naturally sore and shaking afterwards.

Thursday we did lower body and did something on the ball where im lying down on a mat and have my legs up at an angle on the ball and lift up the legs...like a thing where you raise your whole body up, but the ball is touching your bum.
Now she was saying that i got to use the shoulders to balance, but i could really feel it through my neck.
That night i was at work and turned to the left and i couldnt move my neck without pain. The past few days its been painful, while the rest of the body is naturally sore. Suprisingly the legs werent as painful as last week....it was the arms.

Im looking at doing the 12 week challenge which starts on the 22nd, coz i really want to get fit. Im sick of having back pain and being just in the obese weight range.....i used to be 55kg..now im like 30kg heavier and miserable.
I'm not sure what is a good price but props to you for putting in the effort to get back into shape.
whats the 12 week challenge?

rozymisty

HSC
Its definately a motivation issue at the moment. I am so lazy lol.

I managed to do a body jam class today. Fuck i am sooooo unco lol. My hips etc are aching coz it was a lot of side stepping etc and im not used to it. But it was good.

I am doing well watching my eating whcih is good. Challenge sometiems not going for the junk food tell you that for sure.

The 12 week challenge is a weight loss/fitness program were you get support to achieve your goals etc etc. I am doing it for weight loss and to get strength. I really need to get strong coz my back is so weak at the moment, not good when your a nurse.

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
rozymisty said:
Its definately a motivation issue at the moment. I am so lazy lol.

I managed to do a body jam class today. Fuck i am sooooo unco lol. My hips etc are aching coz it was a lot of side stepping etc and im not used to it. But it was good.

I am doing well watching my eating whcih is good. Challenge sometiems not going for the junk food tell you that for sure.

The 12 week challenge is a weight loss/fitness program were you get support to achieve your goals etc etc. I am doing it for weight loss and to get strength. I really need to get strong coz my back is so weak at the moment, not good when your a nurse.
If it is a motivation issue why not get a family/friend/partner/collegue to train with you.

In terms of educating yourself, there is an abundance of resources on the net in terms of diet and nutrition, exercises, workouts, supplements etc. A lot of it may be geared towards men, but it can be applied to women. Like Pace said, a few lessons should be enough to learn a decent routine, but for me personally $500 for 10 lessons is pushing it.

Before you start anything drastic, talk to your GP.

edit: exercises like squats, rows, hyperextensions and stiff leg deadlifts are great for lower back strength. Pilates and stretching will also help.

Last edited:

rozymisty

HSC
Yeah ive subscribed to the womens health magazine,a dn when im not dead tired from shiftwork i will read them.

I intend to do a pilates class this week if they have one either tmw or fri morning, otherwise ill go next wk.

I am getting stronger with each session which is great, managed to do lunges today with 5kg dumbells compared to 2.5 last week.

I had a friend who is a fitness freak who moved up from Canberra temporary before her school went bust and she moved back down. But if she had stayed here, she was gng to sign up for my gym and come with me and stuff. If she does come back up next year with her sis, then she's gng to get me fit. But man i hope i am fit by the time she comes up here.

Nereis

HSC
I find that the vast majority of PTs prescribe a thoroughly useless regimen of boso balls, machines, crunches and 'boxercise.' Theres a women's lifting section at www.bodybuilding.com or www.t-nation.com, why pay $50 for a guy to tell you to squat?

rozymisty

HSC
Well its been 3 weeks since I started PT. I can now do lunges with 6kg weights, leg press 100kg and am getting less and less sore with every session.

At the start, i coudlnt do any lunges without falling over, but now i can! So proud of myself lol.

And yesterday i went for a remedial massage, coz boy did i need one, and the lady said that im more toned than i was when she first saw me 3 wks ago, which is nice to know!!
I havent lost weight i dont think yet, but i am stable at about 85kg.

and next week, we start the 12 week challenge...bit nervous about the before photos,,....hate seein myself in undies in the mirror..ewk. Man i hope i lose the fat skin around my stomach, thats the main area i want to get rid of the fat. yes i know thats the last place it goes but still.

Nat3skiz

HSC
rozymisty said:
Well its been 3 weeks since I started PT. I can now do lunges with 6kg weights, leg press 100kg and am getting less and less sore with every session.

At the start, i coudlnt do any lunges without falling over, but now i can! So proud of myself lol.

And yesterday i went for a remedial massage, coz boy did i need one, and the lady said that im more toned than i was when she first saw me 3 wks ago, which is nice to know!!
I havent lost weight i dont think yet, but i am stable at about 85kg.

and next week, we start the 12 week challenge...bit nervous about the before photos,,....hate seein myself in undies in the mirror..ewk. Man i hope i lose the fat skin around my stomach, thats the main area i want to get rid of the fat. yes i know thats the last place it goes but still.
if you're more toned you've probably put on muscle and lost fat, hence staying the same weight.

Good luck with the challenge.

rozymisty

HSC
Nat3skiz said:
if you're more toned you've probably put on muscle and lost fat, hence staying the same weight.

Good luck with the challenge.
oo really? cool. I want...no no i NEED to lose weight particularly around my stomach and arse. that was the whole point of doing PT.

So to lose more weight as in fat, i should do cardio right? I dont want to be to toned as like i have bulging muscles...that in women is revolting.

Nat3skiz

HSC
rozymisty said:
So to lose more weight as in fat, i should do cardio right? I dont want to be to toned as like i have bulging muscles...that in women is revolting.
burn more calories than you consume, your body will resort to burning less efficient fuels ie fat.

rozymisty

HSC
I went to the gym yesterday for a PT session and Ive lost my first kg!! Now down to 84.1kg instead of 85.3kg i was at the beginning of last week. Wooo!! And the thing is, i havent been eating like i should or exercising very frequently! So im just hoping that i have really lost that kg.

My PT made me do push ups yesterday.....they are soooo hard!!! I cant get right down to the floor without my arms caving in. And Im using my arse to hall myself back up when i go down...

Very sore today. Got another nutrition seminar tonight.... They keep telling us we need to eat every 2-3 hrs....as a nurse thats impossible....and to eat more protein, esp those protein shake things which are a fortune!!

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
rozymisty said:
I went to the gym yesterday for a PT session and Ive lost my first kg!!
Sorry to burst your bubble but... You probably lost the weight from going to the toilet and drinking less water

CarlU

HSC
Davo1111 said:
Sorry to burst your bubble but... You probably lost the weight from going to the toilet and drinking less water
Unfortunetly he is right. But don't worry keep up the hard work and you'll be losing more then 1kg. :uhhuh:

RozyMisty said:
It depends. There are alot of people who do these things for a couple of weeks and then just give up. For them it's not worth it, it's just a fad and a waste of money. But if you work your but off and train real hard and get the results the yeah. Just depends how focused you are on your goal. Look at it like an investment.

Last edited:

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
rozymisty said:

ahh helll no.
unless he's been doing it for 30 years or something.
no.

i've never had the need to have a personal trainer.
i would only ever consult with one to make sure i have correct form when doing exercises.
ie, squats and deadlift.
i don't really need to either, because i know a few people that know their stuff.
(alot of personal trainers don't know anything ie. this Personal trainer my mate has told him that 'if you do weights and do cardio directly after, the muscle will turn into fat'
i was like AHAHA WTF?
he doesn't know SHIT.

i'll tell ya what,
tell me what you want to do
ill be ur personal trainer, as long as you get me in the gym :p.
actually just tell me what you want to do,
and ill give you a routine to do.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)