Photoelectric and Hertz? (1 Viewer)

-X-

HSC
N/A
Can someone help me with something.

When Hertz setup his experiment that caused the spark in a loop, was it because of the radio waves being generated? or was it because of the emmision of electrons causeing the spark?

The book is confusing me.

Thanks

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
it was because he turned the power on :)

i think what you mean is radiowaves are generated from the electricity. the spark merely came from the induction coil

-X-

HSC
N/A
lol

Nah i meant the detector (loop) was placed somewhere and when the spark was generated (or when he turned the power on :p ), the loop that was placed somewhere also generated a spark (with no physical contact with transmitter).

Hope it made sense. I might draw a diagram to show what i mean.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
oh thats what you mean :p

in that case yeah radiowaves were emitted and detected by the loop

the loop had a very very very very very small gap

plus it had to be directly on the right of it for sparks to appear

-X-

HSC
N/A
ok, if they were wave then how did he produce the photoelectic effect that he didnt investigate?

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
he found that when he shone uv light on the second loop, the sparks jumped the gap easier.
he realised that light and electricity were somehow related, called it the photoelectric effect, and unfortunately died too soon to investigate it much further...

Halo

HSC
N/A
The powered-on transmitter produced radio waves (electromagnetic radiation) which induced a potential difference between the gap in the loop. Putting the loop sufficiently close to the transmitter created a large enough potential difference to make the electrons jump from one end to the another of the gap (which is the spark). The occurence of the spark made Hertz realise something was emitted from the transmitter, which was found to be radio waves.

Now when Hertz enclosed the loop in a box, the sparks were not as vivid. This means light was somehow enhancing emission of electrons, which was the photoelectric effect that he didnt further investigate into.

Something like that.

-X-

HSC
N/A
Ok thanks guys, its allot clearer now. :)

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
induction coil steps up the voltage to a very high level and the potential difference ionises particles in the spark gap allowing electricity to jump across, and in the process emit EMR

gnrlies

HSC
the oscillaiting electrons that caused the spark (as we know by an induction coil) in the emmiter caused radio waves.

As we know, the photoelectric effect allows electrons to have the right amount of energy to jump to the conduction band or whatever depending on the situation as it absorbs a photon of light.

The same thing applies here except its with quanta (photon is the quanta of light) that causes the electrons to reproduce the spark. Howevor the difference here is that it also uses the surrounding light to also give it the right amount of energy to jump the gap, so as the light was removed, the electrons didn't have enough energy with the radio waves alone to jump the gap...

I think this is right.

Please correct me if ive made a mistake.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)