Physchology (1 Viewer)

lane

Hey there , I'm really interested in becoming a clinical physchologist whic degree out of the so many physchology ones do I tackle. Is anyone else interested in doing physchology at uni?

Last edited:

chocomello

Im interested in Psychology at sydney uni but Ill prob end up doing at adv sci/arts degree as i want to study a language

Confuzzled?!

HSC
dunno..
but..wouldn't you choose to major in dat after doing 1st year "psyc"...
???

looks pretty interesting though......

so did forensic science....lol.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
If you actually want to be a clinical psychologist you're really going to have to do the B Psychology degree. A psychology major won't cut it.

Confuzzled?!

HSC
lolz.
nah..coz i thought that when u said 'u needed to do B psyc. not a major', that was directed at my post. lol. =)

Da_KaMaKaZi

Applying 4 Psych!

Hey there!
Well hopefully im planning 2 do psych ive applied but ther are many different courses available 2 do it. U can get do a Bachelor of Sciene, Arts or the one that ive applied to a Bachelor of Liberal Studies and then in ur 4th yr u can choose 2 major in Psych BUT if ur planning on getn a doctorate in Psych u need to do an extra 2 yrs post gradutae or work experience and u need to be Registerd with the Australian Society of Psych and that cost big bucks $$! Good luck n if ne1 does get in2 SyDney uni doin Pysch plz email me at nour_85@hotmail.com Ciao n ALL THE BEST! :D

funkydish

there are two uni's i have in mind.

Macquarie Uni: BSc - Psychology (~84.5)
UTS: BSc (with Psychology Units)

would it be better to do it with BA though?

Da_KaMaKaZi

Re: BA Psych

Well ive researched options available n ive realised that it seems beta to do a Bachelor of Liberal Studies, Arts, Science, Social Sciene coz they give u wider career options whereas if u choose 2 do psych alone ull study only that. Liberal Studies gives u a wide variety of subjects to choose from and then choose ur major in ur 4th yr. So i guess its up 2 u but i would recommend u do a BA. :D

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Just so you know, you can't wait until your fourth year of university to choose your major - you essentially have to decide at the end of your first year. The subjects you do during your second and third years will determine what your major(s) will be.

At Sydney University, a Bachelor of Psychology degree is no more restrictive than the B Liberal Studies, BA, BSc etc degrees. You won't do any 'extra' psychology subjects during your first or second years, although you can choose to in later years.

In a way, it comes down to which degree name you like most - do you want to have "Bachelor of Psychology" or "Bachelor of Arts" on your academic transcript? :p

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Well, I'm at uni now, and am in the process of choosing my second-year subjects. I have to choose carefully, because they will be the basis for the major(s) I want to do. All second and third year subjects have prerequisites which must be met if you want to do them, and all majors require second and third year subjects.

Waiting until third or fourth year to choose your majors is analogous to waiting until just before the HSC exams to choose your subjects. :)

hk*star

cool thanks for your advice
i was thinking of psych at unsw
hopefully the ba of psych, but dunno if i will get the uai or can manage the distiniction average :uhoh:
but if not then i would do it through adv sci

funkydish

hmmm, BA or BSc ... it's a tough decision. Arts seems a little clichd since everyone seems to have a BA these days lol.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
And the general non-arts uni population sees a BA as standing for Bugger All. :p

kate

im looking into forensic psych

wollongong is probly the closest and best for me but they dont offer post grad in forensic only clinical..

anyone know much about this.. if i could maybe do the b psych at uow then somewhere else for the post grad forensic psych?

would that work? it is all so confusing

melissella

well i've applied for Bpsych(hon) first, then social science, then BArts, but even if i only get the marks for the second and third ones, i will switch to Bpsych after the first year, because u cannot be an actual psychologist- all yourself a psychologist by law- unless u do that Bpsych degree (or whatever else its called elsewhere) then do however many years under supervision- in other words, majoring in psych does not make u a psychologist. keep that in mind.

email me if u r wanting to do psychology! (see profile) im really excited about it! im thinking clinical, but it all depends on what interests me when im doing the course. does anyone know exactly what the course involves? (or know someone who does?)

cyas

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)