Physics and No Maths. (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
Is it feasible to get a high band 6 with doing Physics without any form of senior mathematics?

A friend of a friend is doing that, not even Standard. I don't know how they're doing, but hypothetically, this is possible?

carrotsss

HSC
Yeah it’s definitely possible, all of the maths in physics is pretty much just formula inputting and trigonometry which you should’ve learnt in junior maths

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
hypothetically it is, the physics (and chem) course at first glance is structured so people doing standard (and yes maybe even with no maths) should be able to do it (the maths is just basic formulas and the occasional algebraic thinking and i think physics even has trig).

but i don't know why you would, imo that's a kind of a weird decision to take physics without at least taking advanced. i only did physics up to y10 and didn't pick it for y11-12 but i know there's stuff in advanced and extension (mostly ext 1 and higher) that would greatly help you with physics, like having a background in calculus and understanding concepts of motion. and looking at the stats for the amount of people who get band 6 in phys show there's a higher proportion of people who do higher levels of maths getting the band 6s rather than people who do standard (and much less no maths at all if any) + if you're planning on taking any uni course with only physics and no maths no uni is going to let you in

fx82au

HSC
Yes, but probably no.

Having just a surface level of calculus will allow you to understand the theory you learn in physics. It will allow you to explain why things happen mathematically, and with this, it will allow you to solve problems more easily.

Take my physics teacher for example. He had only taken general math in high school (around 6 years ago), and now whilst he is teaching I have to help him answer problems. I would highly recommend doing at the very least advanced math, or even engineering studies, because there are some similarities in content.

dasfas

HSC
I mean yes, but why? If you enjoy physics, it doesn't really make sense that they'd not enjoy maths to such an extent that they would make they they don't take ANY units

Galactic Drama

HSC
Personally, I wouldn't recommend that you take Physics without any form of year 11 maths as some topics do get quite complex in terms maths so it could be beneficial to have some level of maths!

HSC
There is no complicated maths in physics... it's all y10 or below math. Conceptually maths is helpful, but any actual use of maths is not complex

Vall

HSC
I agree that HSC physics has fairly simple maths. But the type of people who do 0 units of maths presumably have weak maths skills and might find the physics maths challenging (challenging is probably too strong a word, but the point I’m trying to make is that someone who does maths will be able to do the maths related physics questions faster and enable them to perform better in the course)

hehe43

HSC
Theoretically it is possible. However, if one can't handle standard maths they shouldn't be doing physics, because the maths in physics is harder or at least on the same level as standard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)