Physics Help!!!!! (1 Viewer)

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
HI ppl
here's wat my teacher wants me 2 do!
write a 1200 word report on-
~discuss the advantages and disadvantages of ac and dc generators and relate these to their use~

now this is a dot point from the syllabus and i have good answer for it but from where can i get 1200 words......??????
pls help!!!!:confused:

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Hi elizabethy,

- How long is your current response?
- What are the main points of your current response?

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Originally posted by elizabethy

where can i get 1200 words......??????
pls help!!!!:confused:
waffle? just blab on making sure u cover all the points and then write some killer intro's and conclusions ( i luv doing that) using massive big words about the potential of AC vs DC and how we'll be using it for thousands of years (or until we find another alternative) that should give u some more 100 words

icie

waffle is your best option. Repeat the same things over and over using different words.

Ensure you talk about:

the transportation of electricity
pollution (DC generators are positioned closer to the places where they are needed)
how you need to convert between AC and DC
the generator itself (DC more likely to break down)

then...

how you can use the different current types. Like AC motors, appliances, etc, and DC appliances and motors etc.

That alone should bring you up to 1000 words if you do it properly, then simply add 200 words via intros and conclusions and by various waffling.

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
advantages/disadvantages

ac is used in power stations today

advantages
- efficiency in distribution since voltage can be incereased/decreased using transformers
- different voltages can be supplied when required
- availbabilty of 3-phase supply

disadvantages
- construction and maintenance of extensive network of substations, pylons, insulators, wires etc
- high ac induce in any nearby conductors (may have harmful health/environmental consequences)

because ac is efficient to distribute, it is the type generated in power stateions and supplied to australian households.

dc

advantages
- does not induce currents in nearby conductors (so you don't get electrical interference)
- no peak voltage
- insulation less likely to break down

disadvantages
- line loss (ie power loss through distribution wires) which makes power transmission over large distances impractical

cuz it's so inefficient, it's not generated in power stations. but dc is better to use in appliances (no interference etc) so household appliances eg telephones use transformers to step-down ac voltage then uses a rectifier circuit to convert ac into dc...

hope this helps, if ya dun understand anything email me or something ^^

ciao~~

kurotenshi

u can try to drag in the Westinhouse competition thing if u're really short on words. :)
i'm not much help since we don't have to do that kinda long respond...but u can try linking lots of uses (or why u wouldn't use it for certain things) in with one ad/disad

hope this is useful

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
Re: advantages/disadvantages

Originally posted by +:: $i[Q]u3 ::+
ac is used in power stations today

advantages
- efficiency in distribution since voltage can be incereased/decreased using transformers
- different voltages can be supplied when required
- availbabilty of 3-phase supply

disadvantages
- construction and maintenance of extensive network of substations, pylons, insulators, wires etc
- high ac induce in any nearby conductors (may have harmful health/environmental consequences)

because ac is efficient to distribute, it is the type generated in power stateions and supplied to australian households.

dc

advantages
- does not induce currents in nearby conductors (so you don't get electrical interference)
- no peak voltage
- insulation less likely to break down

disadvantages
- line loss (ie power loss through distribution wires) which makes power transmission over large distances impractical

cuz it's so inefficient, it's not generated in power stations. but dc is better to use in appliances (no interference etc) so household appliances eg telephones use transformers to step-down ac voltage then uses a rectifier circuit to convert ac into dc...

hope this helps, if ya dun understand anything email me or something ^^

ciao~~
thanx heaps!!!!:D

mrman

just crap on about how efficent AC is

one main point alot of ppl forgot was that, whats the point in using DC once AC was invented, because transformers need AC to run, so its more convient, plus all the other bs, more effiecent, doesnt have to be so close to cities, since u can step up the volatage easily to a low current, and then step it up and down in the home (e.g tv and clock radio)

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
hey ppl
i ended with 2500 words.......i cudn't believe it!:D

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
ahahah and you were scared you couldnt reach the target

you ended up doing double the required amount :rofl:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)