• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Physics or bio (1 Viewer)

Chrocho

HSC
I’m in a dilemma where idk which one to drop. Currently I’m doing alright in both, my marks aren’t spectacular though. For phys I got the second highest mark of 91% in prelims and same ranking for bio but it was 88%. Tbh i think I’d enjoy the bio course a lot more but I really suck at answering the interpretation type questions like where they give you a graph or diagram and you’re supposed to apply your knowledge of specific pieces of content to justify a trend that you see in the diagram (eg the butterfly migration chart which is talking about evolution), i feel like im bad at explaining the trends and referring to the stimulus enough. On the other hand I’m not insanely good at grasping physics concepts, I feel like when the question is a calculation one I’m generally very good at it but when it comes to explaining concepts I’m lowkey kinda bad purely because physics concepts sorta confuse me and it takes me way longer to wrap my head around them. Most if not all of my teachers have told me to drop bio and keep physics but I feel like it’s because they saw my prelim mark which I only got because a lot of the questions in my prelim was calculation based. So I’m really not sure, I’m scared I’ll make the wrong choice and fuck it up for myself. If someone has advice or anything it would be immensely helpful, thank you!!

radish33

HSC
Don't rush yourself, you've still got plenty of time to decide which to drop. Idk abt bio but for the yr 12 physics course, mod 5 and 6 have more calcs though there's still a decent amount of qualitative stuff. 7 and 8 are pretty concept heavy, there's some minor historical aspects too (the developments in scientific understanding of light and the atomic model). I'd say keep both for now and see how you like them. If neither of the course matter much for your uni plans, phys should def contribute better to ur atar even if u do worse in qualitative qs.
Best of luck, u got this !!

shoulfer

HSC
Don't rush yourself, you've still got plenty of time to decide which to drop. Idk abt bio but for the yr 12 physics course, mod 5 and 6 have more calcs though there's still a decent amount of qualitative stuff. 7 and 8 are pretty concept heavy, there's some minor historical aspects too (the developments in scientific understanding of light and the atomic model). I'd say keep both for now and see how you like them. If neither of the course matter much for your uni plans, phys should def contribute better to ur atar even if u do worse in qualitative qs.
bruh we got english paper 2 tmrw

Bananananana!!!

HSC
So cooked bros lol. I can smell the bushfire a burnin. All texts done but I can't memorise shit. No quotes, nothing. F me
2019 all over again haha. I can memorise my essays fairly enough but I'm gonna be tired and unable to write as fast most likely. Mod C is gonna go into the bin as well. I did over 14 in every section in my trials except for mod C with a spectacular score of 9.

Chrocho

HSC
Thank you for your advice, unfortunately i pretty much must make a decision now since I’m picking up 4u maths and possibly latin extension and I was already on 14 units at the end of yr 11 💀 so if I keep both i might js die. Also good luck for your eng paper!

radish33

HSC
Thank you for your advice, unfortunately i pretty much must make a decision now since I’m picking up 4u maths and possibly latin extension and I was already on 14 units at the end of yr 11 💀 so if I keep both i might js die. Also good luck for your eng paper!
damnn that's rough buddy, im sure you'll do great tho. ngl if ur doing 4u might as well keep phys since a lot of the conceptual stuff can be tied back to maths...
thanks for the well-wishes bro, can't wait to leave it all behind in a few hours :')

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)