Physics Skills Prac (1 Viewer)

lvlark

HSC
ok i have got an upcoming test on physics skills.. the teacher pretty much wont tell us much more than that it will be based on physics skills.... ne idea what sort of things i should go over for it?

rama_v

HSC
lvlark said:
ok i have got an upcoming test on physics skills.. the teacher pretty much wont tell us much more than that it will be based on physics skills.... ne idea what sort of things i should go over for it?
Know how to differentiate between independent and dependent variables, know what reliability, accuracy and validity are (and the differences between them), make sure you know what constitutes reliable results and how you can improve experiments.

Dragie

HSC
Physics 'skills' usually means practical and experimental theory. So make sure you're alright with:
1. Reliability and validity
2. Most of the relatively common pracs that you've done to date
3. Be aware of conclusions and discussions of a variety of practicals
4. Calculations and applications of certain formulas

I can't think of what else 'skills' could mean so just remember your experiments, results and conclusions!

Dragie

HSC
rama_v said:
Know how to differentiate between independent and dependent variables
Yup definately independent and dependent variables - they almost always test on this...curse them!

Riviet

HSC
N/A
You also need to know how to graph results from a table, things like which variable goes on x and y axes, line of best fit, ignoring outliers when drawing line of best fit. Good luck with the skills test too.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
What about stuff like limit of reading and associated errors and that? And working with measurements with associated errors in calculations? Spent a whole day on the first chapter of my physics textbook just to get my head around all the skills stuff lol :p

rama_v

HSC
airie said:
What about stuff like limit of reading and associated errors and that? And working with measurements with associated errors in calculations? Spent a whole day on the first chapter of my physics textbook just to get my head around all the skills stuff lol :p
Errors is not really a big part in the HSC course. I suppose they could ask it theoretically but finding and computing anything other than the most simple measurement errors can be extremely complex and involves statistical theory. It's what we have to do in uni in our physics labs. For example if you measure velocity, to say two decimal places, then what is the error when you use that velocity to calculate kinetic energy (i.e., when you square it?)? Or when you find an angle theta, what is the error in Cos theta? For this reason its not asked in high school.

Last edited:

GaganDeep

fffff
HSC
Does any one have notes on the all the pracs for accuracy, valid and reliability and variables?

Bookie

Banned
HSC
accracy, dear tiani, is the amount of difference between what you hypothesised and what you got, divided by the hypothesised thing.

ie you should be getting 200. you got 180.

then its (200 - 180) / 200.

= 20 / 200

= 10 % error

= 90% accuracy

*yooneek*

@UTS...I <3 Jesus
HSC
Bookie said:
accracy, dear tiani, is the amount of difference between what you hypothesised and what you got, divided by the hypothesised thing.

ie you should be getting 200. you got 180.

then its (200 - 180) / 200.

= 20 / 200

= 10 % error

= 90% accuracy
oh arghya!
ur smartness is overwhelming!!!
thank you for sharing :)
i shall try to incorporate this new-found knowledge into my scientific studies :p

u da best ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)