• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

picking a digital camera (1 Viewer)

MicK_eT

Terry mate!
i want a digital camera but not one of those no name cheap 2 megapixel cameras.. i want to be able to print nice photos on my printer from them....
im thinking of a camera that has 4 megapixels or wateva it is... and an accurate viewfinder.. so i can take pictures through that and not havta rely on the lcd screen.. cuz of the whole power draining issue... ive looked at a few digi cams and the olympus 740 and 750 appeal to me but too expensive and its EVF is supposedly very power draining.
can anyone point me in the direction of good qual cameras below the 800 price point?
the whole movei record thing doesnt realli matter but yea...
i want a camera that can cater to novice users and also for ppl who have a bit more experience with cameras.. (not me but id like to learn)
also one with a good lens.. ive seen and used a couple of digi cams mainly those cheaper 2 megapixel ones and like u totally havta rely on the lcd screen and the optical zoom on em arent that good.
so anyone got any suggestions?

Huy

HSC
N/A
My biased answer: Kodak DX4330

3.1MP Digital Camera

3x Optical zoom
3.3x Digital zoom
1.8" indoor/outdoor LCD

Viewfinder I hardly use, but it does the job as well I suppose, everybody these days likes to take pictures using the LCD screen, it's just bigger! :)

As for movie recording, my 256MB MMC takes about 10 minutes+ I think Quicktime .MOV files, although I've never used more than 2-3 minutes at a time (I'm not a film maker or anything)

Rated #1 in ease of use with the Kodak Dock II

Bought mine for about $850 all up, including 8 batteries (4 pairs), rechargeable NiMH 1800mAh (milliamp hours), including the charger itself.

The camera retails for about $699 (or $700), but you can find great deals on ebay if you're interested.

Here's my camera on ebay (not my auction though :p :p)
for $499 with a few days left, I expect it to sky-rocket at the end/last minute.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2954477115&category=30007

There's my biased recommendation :)

MicK_eT

Terry mate!
ooh.. viewfinder i just wanna be able to use cuz i want to be able to use the camera for a long time without the need to recharge every few hrs....
the LCD takes up alot of battery power ive read

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by MicK_eT
ooh.. viewfinder i just wanna be able to use cuz i want to be able to use the camera for a long time without the need to recharge every few hrs....
the LCD takes up alot of battery power ive read
The LCD does suck up the batteries, but you can always use it sparingly, (ie when you want to take pictures, or when you're reviewing pictures taken)

just don't walk around with it on all the time, if you're worried about battery life.

and I carry 2 extra pairs of batteries (2 in the camera, 4 in my case) so if the camera batteries run out, i can always replace them with rechargeables (fully charged),

even if they run out (the replacements), i will have another 2.

but i *doubt* you'll go through 2 sets of batteries in 1 session/usage.

you might go through 1 if it's on all the time, but i doubt you'll even go through 2 (these are 1800mAh by the way, some cameras might have 1600 or 1700 mAh).

Make sure you get some NiMH (not NiCd) batteries with a fast or rapid charger, it charges it from flat to full in about 3-4 hours. :)

MicK_eT

Terry mate!
well i go camera/photo crazy wen i got a camera in my hands...
the current camera i got is one of those huge black pro style ones hehehe and yea... waste a roll of film so quickly.....

MicK_eT

Terry mate!
oh n yea... i also wanna use the viewfi nder out of habit too heheh
also i have another q.. with EVFs when u turn the camera off does it still drain power? cuz i read somewhere that they are always on

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by kimmehi'm a getting this one :D:D:D its being transported here from overseas in the hands of my uncle :)
kimmeh and her olympus cameras... (and me and my kodak cameras).

also i have another q.. with EVFs when u turn the camera off does it still drain power? cuz i read somewhere that they are always on
with the (electronic) viewfinder, i've never had to use it all that frequently, as i'm reliant on the LCD screen itself (face it, it's bigger, it's easier to capture/frame subjects, and it's nice :))

-- i figure it would be on if and only if the camera is on, so if you drain the power (turn it off), the EVF will be, correspondingly, off.

make sure you read the manual though, but i *doubt* the EVF will be always on even if the camera is off (try taking out the batteries -- im sure it will be off then ;))

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
ok, this is the version before ours i think, but its basically the same..maybe
great choice in camera ;) :)

the canon IXUS range are a delight to use, slim and elegant (if you're into that kind of thing :))

It's true about the megapixels and reasons for upping the ante: "unless you wanna blow up to a3 or above, you dont need one with 4 megapixels."

Some people prefer to have higher quality/resolution pictures to store on their computers (photo libraries, galleries, and so on).

I hardly ever "print" my photos (say at a photo development lab or store), but I like to be able to zoom in (for reasons that will remain secret :D :D) and zoom out, pan, scan, retouch and edit photos (it's amazing what you can do with a bit of know-how ;))

But I digress, if you've got enough storage space (disk space), then you can afford to go all out, but if you're only taking happy snaps to email them out, host them on you websites and share them with relatives/loved ones, then 2MP cameras will do the trick these days -- you'll end up lowering the quality/dimensions and resolution (via the dimensions and quality adjustments/options on the camera itself, or post-picture taking on the PC/computer), to be emailing them out in the masses :)

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
ive got a sony DSC-P71,3.2 mp and 3 optical zoom. i cant even remember the digi zoom because i never use it. the camera does the job, however i think my model has been phased out by the DSC-P72 model. Got i last dec for about $700.

I am looking for a new camera though, more like a digital cam corder. the one in tomb raider looks good, nice and small, light and looks like it does the job.

http://www.panasonic.com.au/catalogue/details.cfm?pcode=SV-AV20&pdiv=DSNAP&cat=2_1
http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/ewear/sd_av.asp

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
its definately cheaper if you buy them from asia, especally hong kong or japan. i had a mate goto japan a few months back and he went into a 2nd hand store and they had digi cams and other gadgets which were'nt even out here yet, and still in tip top condition with everything intact.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)