• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Picking up an extra degree (1 Viewer)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Currently I do a BA in Communication at UTS and I'd like to add a BA from another university. I know MQ has a process by which you can do this but what exactly would happen if I applied to a BA at USYD or UNSW and tried to keep the UTS BA in Communication degree at the same time?

Generator

HSC
N/A
Leaving aside the why, if you wanted to take on a second and separate degree I'm assuming that you would have to apply as a full-fee student given the nature of the Government's HECS-Help system (even if you could apply for a HECS position, your SLE would run out before you finished the second degree).

In deserted outskirts of sinister reasoning, thou
HSC
Generator said:
Leaving aside the why, if you wanted to take on a second and separate degree I'm assuming that you would have to apply as a full-fee student given the nature of the Government's HECS-Help system (even if you could apply for a HECS position, your SLE would run out before you finished the second degree).
SLE? what's that?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Also keep in mind, considering they're both BA's that you could get credit for what you've already done in BA communications

phrred

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
Also keep in mind, considering they're both BA's that you could get credit for what you've already done in BA communications
i dont think she'd get credit from the communcations course if she isnt transferring but taking up another degree

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
phrred said:
i dont think she'd get credit from the communcations course if she isnt transferring but taking up another degree
When did I become a she?:eek:

Anyways, I thought I'd update this with what I've discovered...

UAC said:
Hi Evan

You would need to check with each university if they would permit you to be enrolled in two undergraduate courses concurrently at differennt[sic] institutions. The Federal government would not fund more than one degree on a CSP basis.

Cheers
Kay
I called up both UNSW and USYD and the answer there was a fairly emphatic 'no', as for these institutions it would have to be on a FEE-HELP basis and they wouldn't give credit between degrees (though they would give advanced standing). However the USYD arts faculty allows pretty much anyone with some undergraduate study to do a Diploma with them which is essentially an additional major from the arts faculty, it has HECS funding but I'm a little hazy on whether the HECS would apply to applicants from other universities as well.

MQ as I already knew permits pretty much any student with the marks, regardless of university to add a Bachelor program from there under HECS, and it would pass credit between degrees. UOW also allows you to add a second degree under HECS in certain circumstances but only if you're currently studying at UOW for your undergraduate degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)