PIP ideas. NEED HELP! (1 Viewer)

tryingisfailing

HSC
I really want to do my PIP about either fairytales or disney. I have changed ideas sooooooo many times that I'm super confused. At first I wanted to discuss disney and feminism, and how the films reflected the ideals of the society at that time. Then, I thought about comparing anime and disney, but read an essay which was similar. And I had no actual hypothesis. After discussing my topic with my teacher, I decided to compare the original story of Rapunzel, to the new Disney film Tangled. BUTTTTTTTT THENNNN, my teacher said I can't only compare them. Which I knew, but didn't know what to do... if you get me. I have no hypothesis or idea on what my PIP should be. PLEASE HELP ME *puppy eyes.

alyssa21

HSC
N/A
A piece of advice which I'd probably give you is to think more about Society & Culture concepts: for example, you could perhaps look at gender roles as portrayed in Disney, or looking at how popular cultures (in relation to Disney/fairytales etc etc) have changed through time, and the reasons why this is so. Okay, they're not-so-great examples, but think more on the lines of S&C concepts, and the ways in which you can incorporate some of the 'language of the course' into your ideas/thinking/topic? I've found that thinking about those concepts helps to focus your ideas really well, and ensures its very relevant to the course.

avro

HSC
A piece of advice which I'd probably give you is to think more about Society & Culture concepts: for example, you could perhaps look at gender roles as portrayed in Disney, or looking at how popular cultures (in relation to Disney/fairytales etc etc) have changed through time, and the reasons why this is so. Okay, they're not-so-great examples, but think more on the lines of S&C concepts, and the ways in which you can incorporate some of the 'language of the course' into your ideas/thinking/topic? I've found that thinking about those concepts helps to focus your ideas really well, and ensures its very relevant to the course.
A girl at my school did this in 2011. I think its done to death. If you want to do gender roles, maybe reverse it? Focus on 'prince charming' and the changing nature of chivalry. The expectation of men -- saving the damsel in distress? Think of typical Disney PIPs, and then look at their ideas from another perspective? Like the male stereotype (so many focus on broad gender roles, or females). You could even look at the presentation of families in Disney films, stereotypes of step mothers/sisters etc and how this influences young children.

tryingisfailing

HSC
Thanks so much for the great ideas. I'll brainstorm more and ask my teacher. I know that someone has done something similar to what I wanted to do. After coming up with that idea, I stumbled upon it online and was like 'damn'. Cause hers was really really good :D

tryingisfailing

HSC
I have another idea! It came to be when I was watching trailers for new Disney movies. 'Fairy tales send strong messages about the importance of having a beautiful appearance'. Why is it that attractive women and men are socially rewarded more than unattractive people? It's evident in most fairy tales that characters who are ugly get punished and rarely have a happy ending. Whereas, the princesses and the princes are mostly good looking and do live happily ever after. Children grow up reading fairy tales, and these negative notions are being put in their head telling them that if can't meet society's expectations of beauty, then they really can't have the greatest future they want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)