pip progress (1 Viewer)

pig_93

HSC
just wondering if anyone is like, not really doing much on their pip at this stage, cos like, um, im not.
like ive got secondary info lined up, but
a) i havent org it yet
b) i dont know what the HELL i am doing

just wondering if im alone and/or ppl are like powering through their pip or not?
am i skrewd??

spanks

Kulazzi

HSC
Well, I've only got articles related to my pip, I've done a questionnaire just have to post it up and we've organised a day for our class to go down to the state lib this thurs to work on our pip during the hols. :)

white_spazzy

but why?
HSC
A)well i have got a few articles but am having troulbe with my secondary info
B)i have done a questionaire and got them all back but have not used them to tally info yet
C)i have not started writing anything although i have my first chapter due second week back

ashley23

HSC
I wouldn't say you're screwed - nobody in my class has done anything much at all, especially me!
I also have heaps of secondary stuff but it's just sitting in a pile, collecting dust.
My PIP's on alternative medicine and holistic lifestyles (yoga, herbal medicines etc) but I am really stuck on a cross cultural component.
Can the cross cultural component be a whole separate country and how they do things, as opposed to what we do in Aus?
That doesn't really make sense, lol.
I guess I'm buggered then, 'til school goes back.

Abbeygale

HSC
ashley23 said:
Can the cross cultural component be a whole separate country and how they do things, as opposed to what we do in Aus?
Yes, but it's generally better to do a cross cultural you can do primary research on.

winicat

HSC
ashley23: do you have any contact info for your teacher? perhaps contact them about this. i'm going to agree with abbeygale and say that it might be too hard to compare countries unless you could definitely get there and complete the research. maybe think about minimising your "country". look at different suburbs, maybe between people of different classes, age is always a good one (you, your parents, your grandparents) especially with a "modern/different" topic such as this

Abbeygale

HSC
Looking at time as a cross cultural is popular, particularly since it has the added bonus of being a core concept and you can look at continuity and change. Syllabus links ahoy.
What sort of access do you have to other 'cultures'? I'm comparing a suburban area to a rural area. A girl at my school is comparing people of low and high socio-economic backgrounds.

mishka

HSC
N/A
don't leave it too late guys, we don't want you stressing over it a week before it's due.

it's sooo hard to know where to start... i know, i did it last year!!! try and write an outline of what you're trying to find out. this way you know what direction your PIP can take. and then you can base your outline on the introduction (if you haven't already started one.)

once you have done that, try to come up with distinct chapters so your info can be organised effectively, but at the same time flow and remain constant. don't do a chapter solely on your methodologies, they should be incorporated into your whole PIP.

while you're on a roll, catch up on referencing... i spent ages doing this at the end of the whole thing - it is sooo much easier if you are keeping on top of it - it's just one less thing you have to worry about.

don't stress too much over it, either. you can minimise this by making sure that, from TODAY you are taking little steps, even if it means working on it for a couple of hours on the weekend. once you have handed in that final copy with the Board of Studies cover on it, you'll feel the enormous weight lifted off your shoulders, as i did last year. try to visualise that. :D

sorry for the rant, this thread just brought back so many memories!! good luck and if you need help or anything, feel free to PM me or whatever. i'll try my best to help. ;)

sof

I'm also stuck on the cross-cultural component thing aswell. I'm doing my pip on rebels Vs nerds - (the social heirarchy of a highschool) and why nerds are considered unpopular and rebels considered popular. I have no idea what the cross cultural component could be4 tht... does any1 have any ideas??

mishka

HSC
N/A
cross cultural can be anything from the obvious one - culture - to age, gender, location, socioeconomic status etc.

the only obstacle is ensuring that your methodologies have incorporated at least one of these aspects, that is, for example if your questionnaire does not have a question on household income (or something along those lines), you cannot theoretically do your cross-cultural on socioeconomic status.

in your case, it might be interesting to look at this topic from the viewpoint of gender. are girls or boys more inclined to notice and follow these patterns of social hierarchy? do boys or girls single out the "nerds" more?

or you could do age. do teenagers' views on the topic change as they become older (and generally more mature!)?

it is likely that you have done a questionnaire already. it is also more likely that you have included age and gender as your "identifiers", so i would consider taking either of these points of view for cross-cultural.

hope that helps a bit and good luck :D

_Benji_

HSC
Yeah, I'd agree with mishka, if I were you I'd do either gender or age.....maybe gender for sof and age for ashley....like how attitudes to alternate medicines etc have changed from maybe ur parents/their parents generation to urs.

don't worry ive only just done my primary interview.....and my pile of secondary stuff is still sitting unsorted. tsk tsk.... *slaps selfs on head*....must get started....

sof

Yeh i was thinking maybe 2 do age....Comparing year 7 to year 12 on their views on the topic because once you get to year 12 the maturity levels kick in. People no longer have that boarder line of what is considered popular and unpopular and they all pretty much talk to everyone. While in year 7, kids just stick to their group. hmmm...i dunno..

jaihson

HSC
I did the social hierarchy in high school for my mini-pip. It was a very interesting topic, but i never actually came to a definite answer to my question. Males and females is interesting as they both hold very different values and mature in very different ways throughout adolescence.

sof

Hey does anyone know how many pages the lord of the rings books have altogether from all of the books?? i really neeed 2 know.....it's 4 my pip

Abbeygale

HSC
Do you have the books? There are a lot of editions, so this probably changes from edition to edition, but my father's copy has 1077 rather large pages.

sof

Nah i dont have the books and i've never read them. I'm just trying to explain sumthing in the pip and yeh...just wanted 2 know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)