PIP Questionnaire (Short Responses) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzyorochi

HSC
Hey everyone,

due to a lack of responses to my previous thread, i've decided to create a smaller questionnaire for distribution.

for my PIP, i'm researching the exemplification of work ethic towards education from students of Chinese and Vietnamese ethnicity in Australia, the enculturation of social and cultural values, and the perception of 'Asians' in society.

Please, answer the following questions to the best of your ability, and as truthfully as you can. Answers of 2-5 sentences should be fine. The information will be kept anonymous, and may be incorporated into my final work.

Thanks in advance

Ben

1. Age?

2. Gender?

3. Ethnicity?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. What is your motivation for striving to achieve at school? what are your goals for the future?

5. Do you think your parents have had a major influence on your ethics towards education? If so, in what ways have your parents' influenced you, and what methods have they used to demonstrate their values?
(e.g. tutoring, private schooling, etc.)

6. Why do you think your parents want you to the best you can at your studies? Do you think cultural values and personal experiences have influenced their value towards education? Why?

7. Do you believe the perception that 'Asians' are academically smarter than 'Non-Asians'? Why/Why not?

8. What is your perception of the 'Asian Student' in society?

i) For 'Asian' Students: Being an 'asian' student, do you think you are positioned to perform better than your 'non-asian' peers? Why/Why not?

ii) For 'Non-Asian' Students: Do you think that you are positioned to feel academically inferior to your 'Asian' peers? Why/Why not?

10. i) If you had a choice between a career in playing a sport for Australia (e.g. Soccer - World Cup) and being a Doctor, which would you choose? Why?
ii) Would you choose a career path solely for its income and prestige in society, or a path that allows you to represent your community? (e.g. Playing a sport for Australia or a Doctor?)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your responses will be much appreciated. Also, feel free to leave any comments regarding any problems, questions or just anything you might like to add. Thanks again in advance.

robo-andie

HSC
1. Age?

2. Gender?

male

3. Ethnicity?

caucasian

4. What is your motivation for striving to achieve at school? what are your goals for the future?

motivation: to prove to myself I can do it, and do it well.
goals: what few goals I have are vague and likely to change. Mainly to travel a lot then eventually settle down somewhere really nice to enjoy life.

5. Do you think your parents have had a major influence on your ethics towards education? If so, in what ways have your parents' influenced you, and what methods have they used to demonstrate their values?

No. I don't think my parents have influenced my attitude towards education at all. The only thing they have done with my education is pay for it.

6. Why do you think your parents want you to the best you can at your studies? Do you think cultural values and personal experiences have influenced their value towards education? Why?

I think they do want me to do the best I can do. I don't think our culture (or lack of) has influenced their value of education or attitude towards it.

7. Do you believe the perception that 'Asians' are academically smarter than 'Non-Asians'? Why/Why not?

To a degree. I don't believe they are genetically superior (or inferior for that matter) than anyone, though I think that their tendency to achieve higher things is a result of their culture and their parents cultures pushing them.

8. What is your perception of the 'Asian Student' in society?

More likely to succeed academically.

9. i) For 'Asian' Students: Being an 'asian' student, do you think you are positioned to perform better than your 'non-asian' peers? Why/Why not?

n/a

ii) For 'Non-Asian' Students: Do you think that you are positioned to feel academically inferior to your 'Asian' peers? Why/Why not?

I should be positioned to feel inferior, though personally I don't. Mainly because I am aware that I can achieve similar things, I simply do not have the push or drive to do so.

10. i) If you had a choice between a career in playing a sport for Australia (e.g. Soccer - World Cup) and being a Doctor, which would you choose? Why?

A doctor. I have the ability to make someone elses life better.

ii) Would you choose a career path solely for its income and prestige in society, or a path that allows you to represent your community? (e.g. Playing a sport for Australia or a Doctor?)

Income and prestige. Even though I would choose being a doctor over playing a sport, I would choose being a big time movie star over a doctor anyday.

Kulazzi

HSC
1. Age? 18

2. Gender? Female

3. Ethnicity? Pakistani & Indian

4. What is your motivation for striving to achieve at school? what are your goals for the future? My motivation was mainly my parents ad basically competition from other students. I'm still not sure what I'd like to be in the future

My parents were strict from the start. When I was in primary school, you'd get homework on monday and have to hand it in on friday, giving you four days to complete it. My dad encouraged me to complete the whole thing on monday night (which I did) and on the other days, do "extra maths". I only started tutoring from year 9 and only for maths, which was a strong focus for my parents. Nowadays, they're a little bit more easier on my little sister because they have realised the pressure and stress in school (I have 2 older siblings as well, the oldest went to a selective high school)

6. Why do you think your parents want you to the best you can at your studies? Do you think cultural values and personal experiences have influenced their value towards education? Why? Cultural values are very strongly influenced in my family. Not only the chinese or japanese, but the pakistanis and indians (indians especially) are strongly encouraged to exceed in their studies. When I went to India for a visit, one of my cousins, who was only about 13 at the time, was already studying chemistry, biology and physics, like you would do in year 11 & 12 (i was like :eek: ). However my parents knew that, living in the Australian society was totally different to the Indian/Pakistani society so they did try and place as much cultural influence as they can (eg. doing 3u maths, choosing science subjects) but once again, they have realised that we're all not good in the same subjects so while my older siblings took physics, chem, 3u maths, and sdd, they allowed me to choose the area I was interested in, which was humanities therefore I did not do 3u maths or physics or chemistry. They are te same with my younger sister as well, allowing her to do the subjects she enjoys.

7. Do you believe the perception that 'Asians' are academically smarter than 'Non-Asians'? Why/Why not? Yes. This is a generalisation but many of the top achievers you see during the hsc, or even at school, are asians. The personal experience I've been through, I see that asians are smarter.

8. What is your perception of the 'Asian Student' in society? That not everyone is the same, some asians or not smart and are just who they are. For example, when I went to a tuition centre, the class was I'd say 95% asian dominated, and these kids were still smart, regardless. But one of my asian friends is totally different and opposite from the rest, so in a sense, some asians are not all smart.

(I'll post the rest of my answers later on, have to go to work now)

mishka

HSC
N/A
Lack of responses could be due to the fact that you have posted this in the PIP forum instead of the School Assessment Surveys and Research forum... am moving this thread!

Kulazzi

HSC
9. i) For 'Asian' Students: Being an 'asian' student, do you think you are positioned to perform better than your 'non-asian' peers? Why/Why not?

Not really. I wasn't positioned to perform better than all the other non-asians, I was just encouraged to do the best I could in the area I was more knowledged on.

Playing sport for australia - basketball. 1) Because I love basketball and played it in primary school. 2) I'm more of an active person than a scientific person and 3) I was bad at science anyway :p. So I'd just choose a career which I'm successful and interested in. Regardless of what my parents, or anyone, think.

I'd choose something to represent the community, like for example, voluteering in many institutions which will benefit the community, which is more to my liking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)