Planck Vs Einstein (1 Viewer)

Ronnie

Can someone help me with the Planck Vs Einstein debate in relation to scientific research and social and pollitical contexts? my teacher did not cover this dot point and my textbook only has a brief thingy on this!

:confused:

superhubert

half way between the gutter and the stars
planc was heavily involved with the nazi reigime in the war. Eintein was opposed to this. he warned of the enourmous amounts of energy that would be released in a nuclear explosion. planc ignored him and worked with the nazi's on these developments. einstien never forgave him, up until his death. they fought over the uses of science for war and peace.

Ronnie

errrrrrrr is that it?
thats all I need to know?
Planck was an idiot and Einstein was a goody goody two shoes?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by Ronnie
errrrrrrr is that it?
Yup ...

Wintermute

No.

Eistein realised from the start that science could never be removed from social and political forces, but Planck was an idealist who beleived that pure science could be studied seperate from those forces. Planck was affraid of the consequences of science being controlled by governments or industry

Eistein wrote a letter the the american president during the second world war stating that he was affraid the Germans were devoping nuclear weapons and so america should develope similar weapons. He never forgave himself.

L.B.U

this is how u can remember it easily...
1- Einstein waz a dickhead. He was opposed to mass destruction when he waz in Germany but then in America he changed his mind and wrote a letter to da president about how Nuclear power can be used.
2- Planck waz a #1 man in Germany. He waz more commited 2 his country(nationalist). He didnt support da war but he waz going to do everything for his country to win da war..

Ronnie

Aiiighhtt.... I have finally found an answer from somewhere.... and basically, Planck was just interested in pure science, he believed the application and consequences of research should be left to politicians and etc whereas Einstein took a moral stand and said that not all research is good research eg: atomic bomb which killed millions of people

More recent stuff has been the cloning/genetic engineering moral issues... pure research means to research these things without a worry in the world however it can have severe etchical consequences....

Another thing is that companies and governments are more likely to FUND research that is already sucessfull or back up some facts that they can use in their favour eg: phone companies funding research that finds there is no link between mobile phone radiation and cancer.... This can be at the expense of other research, it should be noted that some stuff was discovered by accident eg: Hertz and photo-electric effect and X-ray diffraction, if other avenues of research is not pursued we wouldn't benefit from "accidental discoveries"

That make any sense people???

Dario

HSC
Originally posted by Ronnie
errrrrrrr is that it?
Are you using Jacaranda HSC Physics ?

Ronnie

Physics Contexts

But yea I've got the answer now so it's sweet
moving right along....

I'm now stuck with what the heck is a transistor.... and how are they different to a diode?:chainsaw:

kaseita

lol, you don't even need to know what a transistor is - just say what impact transistors have had on society.
you do need to compare the features of solid state devices to thermionic though :p

oh yea, here's some interesting reading about the planck vs einstein thing. its from some book, can't remember where. It's based on the syllabus bullet point.

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)