• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Please Help! Designing An Exmeriment To Test For Lead In Waterways (1 Viewer)

b boi

HSC
I have to design an experiment to test for LEAD, i have no clue what to doo... iv looked at google n all n also in library n all, but dint find ne thing. i was wonder if some 1 can please help me!!!

The [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Criteria [/FONT]given to us was :

Design an experiment that could be used to monitor the presence of your chosen ''heavy metal'' in our waterways (15 marks)

Your experimental design should take the form of a scientific report using aim, method etc. (4 marks) and should incude:
1) detalis of the indentification and quantifying processes used to monitor levels (6marks)
2) suggestions on safety procedures (2marks)
3) a labeled diagram of equipment used. (3marks)

outcomes adressed: P4, P10, P11, P13, P16

thanks in advance

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
This rest of this post assumes u r talking about the Lead Ion (Pb2+):

Well, for a Qualitative test (to see if Pb2+ is actually in the water), since u cnat use a flame test, u have to use PRECIPITATION REACTIONS, namely using thes fact that PbCl2 (lead chloride) and PbI2(Lead iodide) are insoluble

therefore ud take a sample of water and add HCl to it - if a white precipitate occurs, lead ions are present:
Pb2+(aq) + 2Cl-(aq) ---> PbCl2(s) - [white precipitate]

To confirm this, u can take a second sample of water and add NaI to it - if a yellow precipitate occurs, lead ions are present:
Pb2+(aq) +2I-(aq) ---->PbI2(s) - [yellow precipitate]

For a Quantitative test (to see how much is there - the concentration) use AAS - Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy which is sensitive to ppm level (parts per million)

hope that helps

if u r talkin bout LEAD (not the lead ion) than that is somethin different

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)