• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Please help me solve this problem just need the answer~! (1 Viewer)

Boonyak

HSC
Q: A water tank contains 500L of salty water with salt concentration 20grams per litre, fresh water with a salt concentration of 2 grams per litre flows into the tank at a rate of 8 litres per minute. The concentration of salt in the tank is kept constant by stirring and the resulting mixture flows out of the tank at a rate of 8 litres per minute.

Find when (in minutes to two decimal places) the concentration of the mixture in the tank is 5 grams per litre.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Just clarifying, so initially there is 500L of salty water in the tank with 20g/L salt concentration. And fresh water 2g/L salt is flowing into the tank at 8L/min?

If so I will start solving it

Boonyak

HSC
I think so and it says "The concentration of salt in the tank is kept constant by stirring and the resulting mixture flows out of the tank at a rate of 8 litres per minute."

HSC
N/A
This question is a first year university question. It involves deriving a differential equation (which I am fairly sure is linear) and then solving it.

This is definately not 2 unit level difficulty.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
This question is a first year university question. It involves deriving a differential equation (which I am fairly sure is linear) and then solving it.

This is definately not 2 unit level difficulty.
Pretty sure I've seen it in Extension 1...

There's a nice example in Pender's Cambridge, and Fitzy iirc.

Boonyak

HSC
Yea i know its for a friend didnt know were to put it

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
:| Ive been trying for about 15 mins at a question I cant solve.
Ah well, it was fun trying

HSC
N/A
See this video for the general method for these questions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I020topCv0&list=PL0B78D947E5714F4D&index=11&feature=plpp_video

Once again, I will stress that this sort of question will definately not be asked in a 2 unit mathematics paper. It could possibly show in the later questions of a 3 unit paper , or a 4 unit paper. But definately not a 2 unit paper. It involves solving a linear differential equation.

I guess they could just ask you to set up the differential equation and not physically solve it. Something like "show dy/dt = .........." but it is pretty unlikely.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)