Please Help Me (1 Viewer)

workerdude85

HSC
N/A
Hello,
I'm sure some of you may be aware, i have seriously considered studying and getting a degree at university, in high school i did not study therefore my uai was very poor below 60, but after working for 3 years now i am willing to sacrifice and study for 3 years to get a better paying job with more career prospect, without study it really does limit your earning capacity and career growth. My question is, i am looking to get into financial planning or accountant course, i have been weak at maths and english essay writing in school, do these courses require alot of maths and english study? i have done general maths in high school, and i am afraid i wouldn't be able to get good marks in university. What is the difference between high school and university in terms of workload, i am going to do a full time course and work part time, as i have made plans with my brothers in terms of finances.

I have the total mindset of putting in the hours to study week in week out, and treat it as my normal working week, and more study hours if needed.

Please give me some perspective, as i have a booking date with a career counsellor 24th this month to consider my options, as i really want to fix my career path before i am 27 years old, i have saved enough for a deposit on a house, so finance part is settled, and i want to concentrate on my future career growth now

workerdude85

HSC
N/A
i honestly feel since this is where i want my career to be in, i will feel more motivated to study. But right at this moment, i feel nervous and unsure, because uni fees are $18,000, my mate says is $4,000, but has this increased so much during the last 3 years??? my mate believes this $18k is international fees, i am not so sure. Also do you have any friends, that struggled in high school but was successful in uni, are there many cases? i know i seen people like my brother who came last in every subject in high school, but excelled in university when he entered uni at 24 years old, are these cases popular or is it rare

kow_dude

HSC
If you're a local student, fees are about 6k a year (two semesters) depending on the subjects you pick. It's even cheaper if you are able make upfront payments.

If it makes you feel any better, my brother went to one of the lowest ranked high schools in NSW. Nevertheless, he went to TAFE then uni and now works at a bank.

Also keep in mind that most companies look for a minimum of credit average grade (65+). So if you commit to uni, you are also committing to a grade of 65+.

In regards to the accounting profession (in which i am no expert on), BOSers like seremify and turtleface (along with others) would be able to help you.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
From what I understand, you need to wait at least 10 years before your UAI isn't counted towards admission to university, or have a good reason why it shouldn't be counted. Depending on your UAI, this might be something that needs to be considered. I guess you'll do a mature age student entry test or whatever anyway, so yeah.

Of course, you did mention that you're not good at maths. I'm no accountant, but isn't accountancy work an occupation that involves a fair bit of maths? Perhaps you should aim for something that you'll enjoy, rather than the $$$ (assuming that's the reason)

Cathtastrophe

HSC
Hey there bud

I too was exceptionally lazy in my hsc...i managed a uai of 52 or something equally pathetic...

point is now I work full time and am at unsw part time
( i too want financial security and better career prospects.
i went to tafe after high school for a year and then work ft for two years. i put my application in to uac and it was accepted (hooray)

I eventually want to get into social planning but knowing my academic history i thought it would be a long shot trying to get into it so i applied for arts. this is proabbly one of the easiest degrees to get in2. you can choose subjects close to what degree you actually want and if you can maintain a credit average or similar you can transfer to the degree you actually want.
Arts is great for being able to have a taste for everything the only problem I have found is the timetables are not worker friendly...good luck though!

p.s if you want to know what you might be in for in terms of subject content visit the university websites individually and look at the course outline etc
pps if youre over 21 you shouldnt have an issue (mature aged student is the go...so that crap about bein regarded for 10 years is just that crap....

call UAC they can be great for other things then just taking your money

hope this helps :)

Last edited:

krayzie_

HSC
Yea apply for mature age.

I have a UAI but its not 10 years. I applied into UNI on the basis of a STAT test and a personal statemen and ONLY a that. My UAI was not taken into account for some reason and I'm only 21.

If your committed to studying at university and you really want to make it into the financial area but are weak in maths, then there are heaps of options. Do a bridging course or something in the Maths area I'm sure they offer heaps. Get yourself a tutor etc. The required maths would probably be HSC maths 2U or whatever. Its do-able so if this is what you want then go for it.

Also what uni were you planning on applying too?

[edit] my uai was 33 or someshit. I made heaps of mistakes in high school - not goin class i was into other shit, i turned up to hsc exams n left within the first half hour. But after time you realise and now that you feel you wanna go uni and make something more of yourself then i know what your feelin.. its possible look where i am. :D

Last edited:

workerdude85

HSC
N/A
thanks guys,
glad to see there are people in my boat, after not doing any study for 4 years my brain is coming up with past scenarios where i failed in study and "what if's" are constantly running through my head... is terrible not being academically smart, being a asian people expect us to be super intelligent but for unfortunate cases of being involved with the wrong crowd i've never gave a shit about school until getting the bitter taste of the real world, being fired and worrying about lack of money.

Are these negative thoughts, and what if's normal? I hope, i can make good friends in uni that are into studying, who can motivate me to study.

i like to apply for UTS , gonna go tafe first and transfer into uni i will be seeing a career counsellor tommorow to discuss my options. i want to get into something that doesnt involve too much people to people interaction, so accountant is something im looking into, otherwise financial planning.

I'm turning 22 in September, planning to finish my studies before i am 27, hopefully 26 if everything turns out good.

krayzie_

HSC
Don't worry about friends, we are your friends.

Just study hard and you'll reach your goals.

Yea you could do it like that go tafe and then apply into a related university degree. your chances would be pushed up depending on your marks as well as the PRO of you being able to adjust back into study mode. TAFE is not as hectic as UNI, i went tafe for 2 yrs and it was laid back and shit like FULL laid back and manage easy D's but when you go uni more effort ALOT more effort is needed!

All the best!

workerdude85

HSC
N/A
How much study would be involved, week in week out?

do tafe/uni provide study strategy / plans etc.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Enough to fully understand the course content, which differs wildly per degree. Any guide given would be fairly arbitrary.

krayzie_

HSC
Yea its not that good.. Just don't fall behind in uni cos you will see your work pile up slowly. But in TAFE its a different story.. Easier I would say. When I was at TAFE things were smooth as, and now in UNI I'm GEEKING it hard! LOL, but the end result is worth it i guess :D

I've been so busy lately with UNI I have no life anymore.
As soon as something is handed up I get more shit to do.. But this probably varies from course to course. That is just my experiance though.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
hahaha you can still have some kinda of social life, but you just need to be organised and dont leave things to the last minute :)

workerdude85

HSC
N/A
Thanks everyone for your advice,
much appreciated. i feel little more confident, and i have already decided i will go uni, im still young only 22 this year and feel is better to do it now and give it a go rather than regret when im in my 30s even though my bro is successful he even regrets he didnt go uni, so i feel this must be an important part of life.

i decided for now, i will be taking a tertiary prep course as it will give me study techniques etc. as i have learning difficulty if only i knew i had this problem in high school maybe things would have turned out differently, but i feel is no point looking at the past even though i occassionally do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)