• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Please, Help! (1 Viewer)

Xyn

HSC
N/A
Hey guys

Firstly, I must say that I feel very out of place being registered on this forum, and you will soon find out why as I throw myself to your collective mercy.

Here's the deal. I'm a soon-to-be 22 year old guy living in northern Sydney who due to a number of problems, dropped out of school at the dawn of the 2nd term of 11th grade, due to said problems, I barely worked at all during high school and was generally considered to be an idiot; though I still think that is yet to be decided. Thus, I have no UAI and I'm not accustomed to hard academic work, nor am I completely sure what career I wish to follow. Basically, my life consists of little more than video games, anime and my casual dead-end job.

Since I left high school in 11th grade, I've spend 3.5 years at TAFE doing IT courses (3 of them to be precise, all of which I completed) and proven to myself that I have some aptitude for programming. So maybe I can go and get an IT job, a juniour programming position, and sit around tapping keyboards and then going home and playing games and watching anime. I don't really want to do that though, if anything, I see it as a last resort, or perhaps something to do in the distant future.

Here is where I think it gets better. About a year ago, my internet connection died for about a month, which interrupted my timesinking lifestyle. Purely due to boredom-born desperation, I began to study the Japanese language, since I had after all always wanted to learn another language, and I had just began watching anime, it seemed like the natural choice.

Anyway, I'm sure there are countless others who have begun learning Japanese due to anime, but regardless, I believe I have developed solid interest in language, and the workings of language now.

It may already be too late to get an offer this year, but I at least would like to ask for some advice for what I should do so I can enrol next year.

Now that you guys know my situation, I have a bunch of questions:

Is it possible for a guy like me to be accepted into Uni?

What kind of course could I do that involves language and maybe linguistics and grammar? I was thinking maybe I could be an ESL teacher or a translater, but you guys may know of more potential jobs.

Which Sydney in Uni would be best for such study?

.. And is it too late to start this year? D:

Thanks for reading!

~ Xyn

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
You might as well try. I'm not sure what the proceedure is for you in applying, but you could try to get in for semester two. A language course could be BA specializing in linguistics, or teaching if you wanted to do that.

loser101

HSC
at least goto the News agent and buy yourself a UAC book to see what courses u like. cost around $10.

there is a section on FINAL round entry. and there is also apply to the uni direct.

also it will let u know what u have to do this year to get into uni next year.

u can get into teaching English to Japanese students in Japan, but they usually want Caucasian teachers to teach english over there, coz probably the students want a ridgy didge english guy to teach them, not a yellow person to.

so if your a caucasian and can speak good english u should get a job in japan.

EDIT: going by your name your probably asian hehe.

P.S playing games is the biggest waste of a life i can think of. there is absolutely nothing gained from it. and the talent people waste amazes me. if you guys put what time you did to studies as u did with your gaming you'd be top of the class

Last edited:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
This is the only advice I have for you: write shorter posts and maybe more people will be willing to try and help you out.

Xyn

HSC
N/A
loser101 said:
at least goto the News agent and buy yourself a UAC book to see what courses u like. cost around $10.

there is a section on FINAL round entry. and there is also apply to the uni direct.

also it will let u know what u have to do this year to get into uni next year.

u can get into teaching English to Japanese students in Japan, but they usually want Caucasian teachers to teach english over there, coz probably the students want a ridgy didge english guy to teach them, not a yellow person to.

so if your a caucasian and can speak good english u should get a job in japan.

EDIT: going by your name your probably asian hehe.

P.S playing games is the biggest waste of a life i can think of. there is absolutely nothing gained from it. and the talent people waste amazes me. if you guys put what time you did to studies as u did with your gaming you'd be top of the class
Actually, I'm as caucasian as they come :D, and I think my english is pretty good, so that might be the go; though talking infront of a class of kids sounds pretty daunting.. Hopefully, I'd get used to it.

Also, I completely agree that games are a waste of life. Before I started playing games, I was a bright primary school kid. I was doing work ahead of my grade and was sent to "opportunity class", games and other issues brought the end of what could have been a bright academic life. Anyway, that's in the past now. I still like games, but nowhere near as much as I used to.

DownInFlames said:
You might as well try. I'm not sure what the proceedure is for you in applying, but you could try to get in for semester two. A language course could be BA specializing in linguistics, or teaching if you wanted to do that.
Linguistics is actually what I was thinking what may be the best choice, but I'm sure many Unis offer courses of that kind. A coworker told me that I should try to go for an "accredited" course, but I don't really know how to check if one does. I guess I'm hoping a linguistics graduate might stumble in here and offer some guidance.

iamsickofyear12 said:
This is the only advice I have for you: write shorter posts and maybe more people will be willing to try and help you out.
Damn. :/

uhawww said:
Just start playing WoW and sell gold.
Grinding is so dull though.

Last edited:

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
total no read zone brosef

give me the crib notes

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Xyn said:
Basically, my life consists of little more than video games, anime and my casual dead-end job.
lol

Evilo

HSC
apply for special consideration (you're probably a bit late for this year - maybe mid semester?) and undertake ipt + jap courses. Use your latest achievements and 'leverage' instead of a uai

HSC
Well because Im a helpful cunt sometimes I did some work for you!

http://www.uac.edu.au/courses/anu/132004.html

http://www.uac.edu.au/courses/anu/132204.html

http://www.uac.edu.au/courses/anu/132003.html

http://www.uac.edu.au/courses/acu/103300.html

http://www.uac.edu.au/courses/anu/131024.html

http://www.uac.edu.au/courses/gu/283112.html

those are just a few i thought would be reasonably accesible for you considering your circumstances... i'd call the universities and as them what the entry criteria is for a mature age student [thats what you'd be classified as because you're over 21!].

i should help people more often it makes me feel good... but it requires too much effort! i also like being selfish and self centered! HA!

--Chris

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
lol @ nolan and uhawww

for serious though, it sounds like your motivated. so you've got by a pretty solid obstacle already. Now, just get out there and find out how you can go about getting into uni.

It's too late to be accepted into anywhere this sem i think. but try for mid-sem entry maybe.

USYD is the best. but UWS is the easiest to get into.

Xyn

HSC
N/A
This thread went downhill fast..

Anyway, thanks chris, for the help. Time to consider options..

Edit: Yeah hiphop, I noticed via UAC that most of the vacancies for nearby Unis are already gone. This is a stupid question, but by mid-sem entry do you mean entering during a semester, or between semesters? I was under the impression that classes began annually.

Last edited:

Xyn

HSC
N/A
hiphophooray123 said:
oh shit lol i meant mid-year entry

between semesters.

as in ull start 2nd sem.
Whew.. I thought I'd have to wait a whole YEAR to try again. Thanks hiphop. :)

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Job Opportunities:

1) Primary Teacher
2) Japanese-English Translator?

Xyn

HSC
N/A
wrxsti said:
Job Opportunities:

1) Primary Teacher
2) Japanese-English Translator?
Being a translator sounds interesting to me. :]

Though I wonder, can't anyone who has learnt two or more languages at a young age become a translator without Uni? >_>

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Xyn said:
Being a translator sounds interesting to me. :]

Though I wonder, can't anyone who has learnt two or more languages at a young age become a translator without Uni? >_>
Not really.

Translation and Interpretation is a hard job, and a hard field to get into. To land a decent job in the field you'd most likely need masters (ie: Master of Arts in Applied Linguistics, Master of Translation and Interpretation).

Xyn

HSC
N/A
uhawww said:
Not really.

Translation and Interpretation is a hard job, and a hard field to get into. To land a decent job in the field you'd most likely need masters (ie: Master of Arts in Applied Linguistics, Master of Translation and Interpretation).
Interesting.. :D

Do want.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Don't think it's going to be an easy ride though, considering Japanese majors are coming out of uni with every second Arts graduate.

If you're a complete beginner you may have to build your way up into Honours and then Masters, to be skilled/qualified enough.

Don't forget the amount of Japanese with English majors, too

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)