• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Pleeeease help, Bio or physics?!?! (1 Viewer)

canleyvale

HSC
Hey guys, im starting year 11 this year, and my subjects are : Ext 1 maths, advanced english, chem, engineering, 1 unit SLR, and finally [physics or bio]. Im having difficulties deciding which one to pick, biology? or physics?
So if you could share your thoughts, suggestions, and any further advice, It would really be appreciated. Thanks alot :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'd suggest Physics. Biology is just regurgitation from what I've heard. Physics is mildly interesting, and confusing with this talk of relativity...

blackratpoo

HSC
i do both - i enjoy bio more tbh. physics is such a drag but depends on what type of person you are.

ask yourself what yr9/10 topics you liked -

genetics/reproduction/nerves and stufss/evolution/dna&biotechnology/health&diseases = pick bio!

or wave refraction/space/electricity = pick physics.

i think bio is underestimated way too much. i disagree its a regurgitation - i think its harder than physics even though i like it. it is because the info is more qualitative over chem&phys that the literacy component is more harshly marked by teachers.

pick what you want and please please please dont let the words SCALING even enter your brain - pick what you like = better atar!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Different people will have different opinions. I think Biology is crap, Physics is a little better, but I still hated it. :p

At the end of the day, it comes down to what you want - what you think is better.

HSC
Different people will have different opinions. I think Biology is crap, Physics is a little better, but I still hated it. :p

At the end of the day, it comes down to what you want - what you think is better.
Couldn't agree any more :p

ital101

HSC
I think Biology is great. During 2009, Biology would be on in 8/17 of my free periods per fortnight. I'd go join in when they were dissecting brains and eyes for the Communication option topic. And in Year 11 I helped the Bio class dissect a rat. Awesome fun. You don't get to do said disgusting dissections in Physics classes. The choice is clear in my mind. That said, although I skipped study periods to help out with Bio pracs, I never completed the HSC course in either subject! :)

Essjaybee

HSC
Also take into account what elective topics your school teaches. I like bio, i never did physics. Hsc bio is 1000 times better than Prelim Bio. A lot of people at my school dropped physics because it was their hardest and worse subject, and a few dropped bio because the last prelim topic dragged on so much.

Why don't you look through past HSC papers for both and see which you find more interesting and would like to learn. If you pick one and end up hating it, you're gonna regret the decision and be less motivated to work on the subject. Both courses have pros and cons, you need to decide which is suited more to YOUR interests and abilities.

ital101

HSC
I'd suggest Physics. Biology is just regurgitation from what I've heard. Physics is mildly interesting, and confusing with this talk of relativity...
You're such a noob. You have to understand Biology. My girlfriend tried just regurgitation- didn't bother trying to understand what she was writing and didn't practise the Biology skills. Ended up getting 65/100 for her HSC mark in Biology.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
You're such a noob. You have to understand Biology. My girlfriend tried just regurgitation- didn't bother trying to understand what she was writing and didn't practise the Biology skills. Ended up getting 65/100 for her HSC mark in Biology.
Your girlfriend is one person - by no means an effective indicator of the cohort.

canleyvale

HSC
Thanks for the feedback guys, just 1 last question.

Would it be a good idea to keep engineering for year 12?

Or is it a better idea to swap engineering with biology in beginning of year 11? [which leaves me with 3 sciences and i heard from peoples thoughts that it is hard to take 3 sciences is that correct?]

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Not really hard - but it does get quite repetitive. That being said, a lot of Chemistry is intertwined in Biology. Chemistry is also somewhat intertwined with Physics. :)

future-doctor

HSC
Judging by your other subjects i'd say that you'd enjoy physics since you are doing engineering and ext.maths, its generally a good combo.

Also, 3 sciences is not as hard as everyone thinks it is, if you enjoy science you would love it. Although, i have to admit the only difficult part is getting past the assessment hurdle. I don't know about the other schools but all the science assessments are always given on the same week for me, which is a great disadvantage having to do 3 assignments in 2 weeks, but i guess that's all part of the HSC journey haha.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
You'd have to choose where your interests lie. Briefly go over the syllabus and see which one you'd enjoy more, go to the Biology and Physics section of BOS or ask some students who are currently doing the course. If you seem to like them both equally but can only pick one, I'd suggest making the final decision on scaling. Physics scales better but don't let scaling determine your subject choice.

ital101

HSC
Your girlfriend is one person - by no means an effective indicator of the cohort.
Well the people from my school who got Band 6's were very intelligent. I often asked them Biology questions (that I was curious about) and they were able to articulate on the information from their text and explain it in their own words.

canleyvale

HSC
Thanks alot guys, any other updates or information you would like to add? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)