plz answer these dot points! (1 Viewer)

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
1. this one is from production of materials
identify the foll as commercially significant monomers:
vinyl chloride
styrene
cud u plz tell me how 2 write this answer if i wanna get a full mark for it?:confused:

2. describe the reaction involved when a condensation polymer is formed?

3. discuss the potential of cellulose as a raw material?

4. describe and account for the many uses of ethanol as a solvent for polar and non polar substances

5. hey which bk has da best answer for this question?
summarise the processes involved in the production of ethanol from sugarcane?

Last edited by a moderator:

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by elizabethy

1. this one is from production of materials
identify the foll as commercially significant monomers:
vinyl chloride
styrene
cud u plz tell me how 2 write this answer if i wanna get a full mark for it?:confused:

2. describe the reaction involved when a condensation polymer is formed?

3. discuss the potential of cellulose as a raw material?

4. describe and account for the many uses of ethanol as a solvent for polar and non polar substances

5. hey which bk has da best answer for this question?
summarise the processes involved in the production of ethanol from sugarcane?
I've merged all your questions into one thread...

I think you should invest in a decent textbook - there is a lot of material in the questions you have asked that is worth reading if not remembering in detail and you learn a lot by trying to summarise this yourself. Thickett's Chemistry Pathways 2 has excellent answers to all those points.

If you would like to have a go at answering those points yourself, eg as a list of points, I'd be happy to give you some tips on things you have missed and composition. But asking people to write your notes for you is counter-productive. I know it is confusing trying to answer the stupid points but it simply has to be done I'm afraid if you want a decent mark.

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
I''ll do the first theree for now...

1. as I said before, just say a commercially significant monomer is chloroethene, etc... it's going to be a 1 marker I believe as it's an identify.

2. To describe... when a condensation polymerisation reaction occurs, each monomer attaching itself to the chain produces one H2O (water) molecule as a by-product from the H of one monomer/polymer and OH from hte other. Use a simple structural equation to illustrate. There is ne radical required as in the addition polymerisation, but this reaction only involes the right conditions with a suitable catalyst.

3. simply: cellulose -> glucose -> ethanol -> ethene (pplastics, etc...) However, although it's a suitable replacement for petrol, using cellulose, which come from plants, require a large amount of arable land. With farming and other requirements, this makes it more expensive. Also... the extra processes thaat turn cellulose into more useful products currently require more money to do, hence commercially unviable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)