• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

plz help on a dot point (1 Viewer)

Sirius Black

Maths is beautiful
HSC
"explain the use of acids as food additives."
It is very easy to identify their use which is to preserve food by extinguishing microbes but how to "explain their uses"?

thanx

tennille

HSC
explain means how and why. How are they used? (I wouldn't have a clue- they are just added on the food hence the name additives?). Why are they used? To stop the action of microbes which result in the deterioration of food. Acidic environments are undesirable for microbes and therefore preserve the food. Acids also produce a sharp taste making it more acceptable to the consumer. Citric acid also acts as an antioxidant, preventing the oxidation of food and therfore preserving it.

04er

HSC
I remember that Cambridge Chemistry Study Guide answers this dot point most thoroughly.

fantasy27

HSC
N/A
i heard macq does it pretty good too, i donno about cambridge though.. i haven't seen the cambridge one for chem, i only seen it for 3u maths i think its blue

fantasy27

HSC
N/A
with the cambridge study guide, does it like have the dot point then answer it underneath or issit just like a studyguide, and isnt that obvious...

because i make my own study notes under the dot points, but sometimes i get really stuck on one dot point, and can't find it in anything.. hmm

funking_you

Sirius Black said:
"explain the use of acids as food additives."
It is very easy to identify their use which is to preserve food by extinguishing microbes but how to "explain their uses"?

thanx
Here are a few good reasons for acid as food additives.

They can be used to:

1). Improve the taste or appearance of a processed food.
Acids & Acidity regulators help to maintain a constant acid level in food. This is important for taste, as well as to influence how other substances in the food function. For example, an acidified food can retard the growth of some micro-organisms
Acidity regulator (270) - lactic acid
Acidity regulator (260) - acetic acid, glacial

2). Improve the keeping quality or stability of a food.

3). Preserve food when this is the most practical way of extending its storage life. For example, sulphur dioxide - preservative (220) - is added to some meat products such as sausage meat to prevent microbial growth.
(this is usually the most emphasised point, and SO(2) is a great example to learn)

All information comes from FSANZ (Food Standards of Australia & New Zealand).

Best of Luck in your HSC,
George

04er

HSC
fantasy27 said:
with the cambridge study guide, does it like have the dot point then answer it underneath or issit just like a studyguide, and isnt that obvious...

because i make my own study notes under the dot points, but sometimes i get really stuck on one dot point, and can't find it in anything.. hmm
It is 'just like a study guide', but it is easy to find information for the dot points that it covers :)

song

HSC
sulfur dioxide: used in wine to kill microbes
and to add flavour

Proponionic acid: in bread to prevent mould

richz

heres what i got

Citric & tartaric acids are often added to jam to give a sharp taste. There acidity also prevents the growth of microorganisms
Acetic acid in vinegar heaps preserve chutneys
Acidic sulfur dioxide is used in dried fruit and white wine to stop attacks from microbes.
Ascorbic acid is an antioxidation thus is added to food to prevent spoilage by oxidation.

mainly food additives help preserve food due to the short life of it.

richz

i guess that really doesnt answer how they do it, but i dont think you need to know that

jisu

HSC
theChemCoach said:
Here are a few good reasons for acid as food additives.

They can be used to:

1). Improve the taste or appearance of a processed food.
Acids & Acidity regulators help to maintain a constant acid level in food. This is important for taste, as well as to influence how other substances in the food function. For example, an acidified food can retard the growth of some micro-organisms
Acidity regulator (270) - lactic acid
Acidity regulator (260) - acetic acid, glacial

2). Improve the keeping quality or stability of a food.

3). Preserve food when this is the most practical way of extending its storage life. For example, sulphur dioxide - preservative (220) - is added to some meat products such as sausage meat to prevent microbial growth.
(this is usually the most emphasised point, and SO(2) is a great example to learn)

All information comes from FSANZ (Food Standards of Australia & New Zealand).

Best of Luck in your HSC,
George
those are some good "why" points. how bout some "how" points? also i couldn't find anything relevant to what you wrote on the FSANZ site (http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/) coz it's a horrible site searchwise, do you have a direct link?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)