• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

pM - Maths Vs Physics (1 Viewer)

243_robbo

HSC
Projectile Motion - Maths Vs Physics?

when i first started physcs projectile motion i just used maths integration - y double dot stuff you know. becuase the physics way seemed watered down and retarted. But now i'm used to using those silly physics formulas and now i reckon the physics method is much easier - this is also due to the calbre of questions asked in physics though.

I reckon part of the physics course should go into integration, like half my class who dont do 3 unit maths have no clue about integration - but i i think it would be areally hard concept to explain to general maths students. Just a thought, so maybe not

What are your thoughts, which projectile motion do you prefer?

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Don't do the maths method. It takes alot of time to do, all physics problems will be solved quickly using the physics formulae.

I prefer the maths method because it is more specific then the physics method, however, the physics method is quicker. Although it probably should go into physics it would make the canditure doing physics even smaller then it currently is.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Physics way is the same as the Maths way, except you just skip the integration and start from the formulae you'd normally derive in maths.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Simple problems only require the simple equations, PM in physics HSC is very very basic compared to what I've heard in uni with applied and further maths. So there's no need to use the mathematical method that we learn in extension 1 maths. ;)

Gowr

HSC
I know this rant will be off topic, and not neccessarily about PM per se, but...

There should definately be more maths in physics. Using the watered down formulas, while making some questions easier, leads to a lack of understanding as to what is going on in the questions. The HSC doesn't teach physics so much as physics appreciation.

I mean, if the physics course is meant to prepare people for Uni, then it is useless, and if it is really about 'the effect of physical principles on the society and environment' I dont see why it is being considered a science. HSC physics has degenerated to the level of a humanities subject.

If you just give formulas this leads to people having no idea what they are doing. Take the motors and generators topic... most people in my physics class had severe problems working out the output of an AC generator, despite them all being able to tell the teacher the formula for flux, that EMF = d flux/dt and that V=IR... They knew the formulas, but did not understand the concepts behind them. This sort of math is not very difficult... and it does make physics easier in the long run. Why memorize lists and lists of formulas if you can derive them yourself.

I will concede that the current physics course could be completed with minimal mathematics, and all that derivation gives you is an easier way to remember formulas. For HSC physics PM, math maybe isn't neccessary, but this does not mean there should be no math in the physics course, but means that in actuality there should be more physics in the physics course.

helper

HSC
N/A
Use whatever method you prefer as long as it is correct in terms of physics it will be marked.

An off topic rant reply.
Knowledge of maths and formulas does not mean you understand physics. That was the problem with the old syllabus, people could recall a formula and substitute in and go well without understanding the meaning of the formula.

Most 20th century physics is based on mathematics that people in HSC have not studied, so without watering down the mathematics we are left to study 19th century and earlier physics.

While I agree the new HSC has too much general skills examination, sociology and philosphy, there was a balance that had to be met, they however have overshot and ended up too far the other way.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
The physics formula in the HSC provides a quicker way to obtain the results. However you should understand all the maths behind it before you use the formula.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)