• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Poetry Assessment Help. (1 Viewer)

ShadowLighte

HSC
I don't know if some people have already had their assessments for the poetry topic but I have mine this coming Friday and I'm really worried about it because my teacher hasn't prepped the class and we'd all be panicking if the majority of them didn't go to an English tutor -I should probably consider going to one.

The tasks are reading and then 'composing an extended response exploring how the text [the one that's read] and one other poem studied in class conveys the thematic concerns of the composer'. I don't know what the question that's going to be asked is -obviously- but the teacher did give an example which was 'Poets reflect issues of their time. How does the context of the poet shape the themes and form of their poetry?' using poetic techniques and such. Just as an example question.

I haven't written many essays for poetry and the ones that I remember are from last year and even thinking back now it's confusing me. Something about stating the technique, why the poet used the technique and an example of the technique from the poem. I don't know in which order or the words to use. Eg. "The poet shows that he understands what it feels like to be under privileged through the lines _____ in stanza _, This is an example of [insert poetic technique] which is used to [explain the effect of the technique]. " -Is this even right, I don't know D:

I'm really worried because so far my results have been bad for English though I used to excel in it. And to think I chose Advanced at first. -sighs-

I don't know what to do. My teacher hasn't gone through and annotated all three poems, only one of them. I'm studying Geoff Goodfellow. His poems 'Turning in circles' I have annotated, 'The luxury of work' and 'Kleva Voomun' are the others. I mean, I understand what the poems are saying but I can't find techniques or how I was supposed to relate it back to the context of him. In short he grew up under privileged and knows what it feels like to be the underdog, disadvantaged etc. I don't know how to link this to his poetry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)