Poetry? (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Anyone else doing poetry for their major work????

I'm doing mine on dance and culture.... varying poetic styles.... haven't written much so far.........

I have all these ideas, I just can't find the words or the way to express them in a way that I am happy with......

This board is totally ace!!

Ollz San

D.E.B
HSC
I'm doing poetry, despite my teacher's blatant doubt on my being able to produce anything of literary value (can't really blame him though...) :D . And hopefully it'll say in that form till the end!

Mine's on 'love'. Restraint love, to be exact. I was kinda inspired by W.H. Auden's Lullaby.

Yeah anyway, what sort of research do you guys do?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I like your ideas. For research, there isn't much other "dance poetry" for me to read so I have been watching films, talking to dancers, reading dance fiction and biographies, and using my own experience and knowledge as well. I also continually read a broad range of poetry, just to get ideas on structure etc.

miguel_fugdey

In The Closet (the broom closet, not the gay close
it may be a bit of a cliche, but try some ee cummings - i get the feeling his work would click right in with your dance theme

yeah i mainly just read heaps of poetry - i've just been reading books of it, although my english teacher gives me bush poetry which really isnt inspiring...im really into the modernist poets

Ollz San

D.E.B
HSC
ha, I've always been fascinated by cummings' works.
I suppose dance poems are hard to find. I'll make sure to let you know if I ever come across one. :)

Do you guys put much effort on really studying the poetic techniques, rhythm/metre and all that stuff?

yeah, adolescent problems, I was thinking that but then I knew that I'd definitely start relating it to myself. and then it'd all become really personal and I'd turn it into one big blob of emotional ramblings :D

liliputian

Boredom Magnet
Long Dark Teatime of the Soul (beneath the washed-
HSC
i think if you read enough, u develop an intrinsic thing on the meter/candence etc...

and yeah, cummings is fantastic! i LOVE cummings! but he wrote so much...

im just writing whatever i feel like...im just doing it relating to myself, coz i think that its the only way i'll be able to acheive emotional impact - i've written heaps though, and i only started amonth ago!

Ollz San

D.E.B
HSC
Hmm..
Do you think they (the markers) will appreciate the 'literary value' of "I love you" in the middle of blank page? I mean, if my character is meant to say that then s/he should just say it simple and straightforward right? cut out all the bullcraps and all.
Such short sentence, tiny in comparison to the white space surrounding it but it's a powerful sentence all right, damn powerful.

:burn: :mad1:

Sorry, I'm just a bit frustrated right now. okay, maybe a LOT frustrated.

Nonetheless I hope you guys are doing okay.

miguel_fugdey

i agree with you, but i dont think it'd go down...

better if you created a symbol - simple, maybe four lines, and easier said than done - mark strand did something like that in regard to a guy walking past an ex's window - sooo moving...

and they'd mark highlyi think - thats what english teachers look for...

remember that sure, write ur poetry for urself, but dont hand in stuff because it clicks with you personally

come to think of it, if the I LOVE YOU thing worked, in context, you might get away with it

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it.

As for the "I love you"... lol earlier this week I thought that maybe if I wrote random words on a page it might pass for poetry lol..... wishful thinking....

Huy

HSC
N/A
hi,

im doing poetry as well
my influences are t.s. eliot primarily

so i'll be doing free verse poetry :)

right now i've only got 1 poem, but my poems are usually 3-4 pages long, so they tend to drag on a bit

i've begun to research (finally!)

but overall,
it's a smooth ride for me

Ollz San

D.E.B
HSC
Your poems have any particular theme? :)

Originally posted by Huy
hi,

im doing poetry as well
my influences are t.s. eliot primarily

so i'll be doing free verse poetry :)

right now i've only got 1 poem, but my poems are usually 3-4 pages long, so they tend to drag on a bit

i've begun to research (finally!)

but overall,
it's a smooth ride for me

miguel_fugdey

the problem with themes, is that seriously could you write 4000 words of poetry on one theme...un;less it ws a BIG theme, like the wastelands or four quartets. the only way i could think of doing it (apart from a theme like 'life'), is by doing an epic or a narrative poem, which, i think, defies the point of doing poetry in the first place...

and one piece of advice (at the risk of sounding like a dickhead) is (i've written a heap of freeverse and thrown it away) and make sure they have a strong rhythm - comparable with a non-free verse poem - and make sure they arent free association, which is an easy trap to fall into

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by miguel_fugdey
the problem with themes, is that seriously could you write 4000 words of poetry on one theme...un;less it ws a BIG theme, like the wastelands or four quartets. the only way i could think of doing it (apart from a theme like 'life'), is by doing an epic or a narrative poem, which, i think, defies the point of doing poetry in the first place...

and one piece of advice (at the risk of sounding like a dickhead) is (i've written a heap of freeverse and thrown it away) and make sure they have a strong rhythm - comparable with a non-free verse poem - and make sure they arent free association, which is an easy trap to fall into
hey,
yep my theme is basically 'life'
--VERY predictable :D

but it's about my life,
and the commonalities between teens etc,
so i'm free to choose anything that teens can identify with, and/or associate with.

pretty straight forward.
i'm doing a little bit of everything,
mostly feelings and emotions at various times
'stress' is a big one :D
as well as 'regret' and all the other common ones
they're going well.

i've written a couple of poems for creative writing tasks we've had in the past (free form, you're free to choose what form to write in), so they've been marked by plenty of teachers.

all in all, it's going great
i've got about 50 pages in my process diary now,
mostly influences, song lyrics, bits and pieces,
thoughts, reflections, ideas,

:)

Ollz San

D.E.B
HSC
oh yeah definitely, theme can be restricting.
When I first started on my major work I didn't have any particular theme and personally I couldn't handle it. It was just...too big and I ended up with so many ideas which would take a lifetime to finish.
So I gave myself a theme and it helped me focus and gave me a purpose. Sort of like giving a name to what I'm supposed to do.

Yeah anyway, I just asked Huy there out of curiosity. ;)

miguel_fugdey

tad advice: make you process diary about your poetry, not about your head - my teacher reprimanded me for doing that, it was just anything that popped into my head, and i wasted like the entire first term doing it...but yeah, life is a good theme i suppose, if corny: at least you know it well! but ollz has a good point: it can also help narrow down!

liliputian

Boredom Magnet
Long Dark Teatime of the Soul (beneath the washed-
HSC
yeahi seem to be working along hte same themes as huy, and i agree with miguel - the journal can be a distraction from the real work of the work... i worked up a 100 page of journa before i even finished considering what FORM i was doing...an utter waste of time, that was (had fun though)

and ollz has a good point - themes can be both restricting and enlightening - if you concentrated on a very small thing i think it could be fantastic loloking at ait from every point of view and using different poetic forms for each pov...bbut u'd have to be pretty passionate about the little thing (don't pick breakfast, for example) (although the thoughts going thru ur head at breakfast'd great fun) and big themes leave too much room for waste..a medium theme'd be great wouldnt it? whats a medium theme?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)