Pompey (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi, I was given the Christmas break to think of a question and come up with a proposal. I want to focus it around an ancient Roman topic that ties into both my historical period and personality (Rome 133-78, Julius Caesar) so that a whole lot of research not only benifits me in 1 unit.

I am tossing up between the question of "Pompey: A tool of the Senate?" or "Pompey: The would-be tyrant?".

I have found plenty of sources for both sides of each question and at the moment my decision is tied.

Any thoughts?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
I have a feeling that the syllabus forbids you from doing your major project on something substantially covered in a current or previous course - so if you have an overlap with Ancient History it might not be allowed. See if you can find it in the syllabus.

That said, I like both of the questions. On balance (and this is a merely personal thing, nothing to do with how it would work as a project) I like the first one better, because I find Pompey's continual switching of allegiances really interesting. Then again, that could also tie into the second question - looking at what his aim in all his switches was.

EDIT: Hist Ext syllabus, pp. 26-7: "The topic ... must not overlap significantly with the examinable content of any other School Certificate or Higher School Certificate course."

Last edited:
HSC
thanks alot, ill be sure to investigate if its considered to overlap too much before i go any further than the proposal.

X

xeuyrawp

Triangulum said:
I have a feeling that the syllabus forbids you from doing your major project on something substantially covered in a current or previous course - so if you have an overlap with Ancient History it might not be allowed. See if you can find it in the syllabus.

That said, I like both of the questions. On balance (and this is a merely personal thing, nothing to do with how it would work as a project) I like the first one better, because I find Pompey's continual switching of allegiances really interesting. Then again, that could also tie into the second question - looking at what his aim in all his switches was.

EDIT: Hist Ext syllabus, pp. 26-7: "The topic ... must not overlap significantly with the examinable content of any other School Certificate or Higher School Certificate course."
I've said this a few times, so I'll summarise it:

1). The syllabus forbids a major work to 'significantly overlap' with the SC or HSC material, as you said. It should not happen.
2). However, many schools/teachers/markers allow students to do major works that most reasonable people would consider to 'significantly overlap'. It does happen.

If someone is passionate about a topic and it overlaps, they should talk with their teacher because they still may be able to do it, regardless of the rules. The Board is too lazy and incompetent to instigate even the most rudimentary investigations into these things, so many teachers will allow works which should not be allowed because they hope that it will increase the student's 2U HSC mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)