Popular Culture: Blogging - "LiveJournal" (1 Viewer)

_vertiginous

HSC
is anyone else doing this?

im having trouble with the heroes & mythology part, also the advertising/marketing thing

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
chrissie_t said:
I'm doing Blogs - Use and abuse...no focusing on one site.
Blogs are SOOO popular now, heaps of people are doing it and there are heaps of newspaper articles etc. Im not sure about books, but from reading the newspaper lately- ive seen many articles on it. So check them out, esp in the SMH section "Next". Plus, im sure u can interview heaps of people.

Abbeygale

HSC
thejosiekiller said:
live journal isnt popular culture, its what you do when you are really bored
LiveJournal is associated with commercial products (paid journals and t-shirts). LiveJournal developed from a local to a national to an international level. Consumers have widespread access to it. It is constantly changing and evolving. It's popular culture.

As far as heroes and mythology goes, I suppose you could try calling the original designers/developers heroes. You can find information about them on sixapart.com . I don't know how easy this would be, but you could try discussing the concept of memes as mythology- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme

Its advertising and marketing mostly consists of word of mouth. In the early days, there were codes- if you had an lj, you were given two codes which you could give to friends so they could get their own lj. This encouraged people to get their friends to join. When the codes were abolished, people who had been waiting for a livejournal rushed to join.

cataleptic

HSC
_vertiginous said:
is anyone else doing this?

im having trouble with the heroes & mythology part, also the advertising/marketing thing
Hmm... that's tough. Yeah I can see the marketing with the use of paid journals and t-shirts available in their online shop though.

Perhaps you could use the "camgirl" issue as hero/mythology? I know of Ana Voog (LJ name is just 'ana'), who could like at her in terms of hero-ism. And perhaps just scope out a few camgirls (check out google) to see like general sorts of characteristics, and then bullshit up a mythology out of that. Perhaps even the mythology that all emo kids use LJ - this in turn perpetuates LJ as it creates a constant connection between the subculture and the online blogging trend. Perhaps you could also link this to the use of DeadJournal by goths? I don't know, just ranting off the top of my head here. You could perhaps extrapolate off this... or maybe it's no help at all.

I'm doing surfing for my P.C. depth stydy. It's boring and I have no interest in it. my teacher just chose it because we live in a surfie, coastal town. Bah.

Hope I helped in some way!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)