• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Possible to change from Full fee to HECS? (1 Viewer)

Warrior Piggies

Assuming I pay full fee for a course in a uni first year. If I do well in this course and i'm eligable to change courses, is it possible to not pay full fee in my second year and pay the HECS fee? :eek:

This is confusing >_<

I hope someone can answer this question. Thanks :apig:

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
yup thats possible. keep in mind you actually defer the hecs fee, not PAY for it. that is, you put it off and it becomes part of your hecs debt.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
yep its possible, its the same as transferring courses, you have to get credit average etc, and you have to compete to get in, its not an automatic thing

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
you dont have to 'obtain' a hecs place. basicly theres two methods of payment when you enrol. you can pay part of or the full amount of your course fee up front, doing so would entitle you to a huge discount, or you could defer the payment ie. not pay anything at all and it will contribute to your hecs debt which you can pay off once you start working full time and earning a certain salary.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Warrior Piggies
does that mean if I go into a course with HECS it means the same thing as full fee ? O_O
Yes the course is the same, noone will kno u are a fee payer unless u tell them

Warrior Piggies

umm...what I mean is would the amount of money totally paid be the same?...

If they are the same, why would people choose HECS over full fees as they have a higher cut off? o_O

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC

If they are the same, why would people choose HECS over full fees as they have a higher cut off? o_O
because not everyone has the money to pay their way into uni.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
No the amount isnt the same
with HECS, its around $5000-6000 a year
but on full fee, anywhere between $10,000-20,000 a year

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I think some people are getting confused with paying fees up front, and full fee paying.
Paying up front is just paying your HECS fee straight away and getting the discount (the cheapest way to pay). Full fee paying is much more expensive, the appeal being a lower UAI cut off.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Full-fee places are only available at a few universities at the current time, too.

Warrior Piggies

Ah I understand now :D

Soo...can I still apply for a HECS place if I payed full fee for first year to get into a subject and transfer to a different course for my second year? (assume I done really well)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Warrior: Yes.

Page 228, UAC Guide (for the University of Sydney):

Transferring to a HECS place

Depending on the policy of the faculty controlling the degree into which you wish to transfer, subject to any special selection criteria and provided you have studied at a recognised tertiary institution for one or more full-time years (or part-time equivalent) you will be selected on the basis of your total academic record, both secondary and tertiary, with appropriate credit for subjects already completed. You will have to meet the standards of those transferring from HECS places in other degrees. Application is through UAC.

Page 184, UAC Guide (for the University of NSW):

Transferring to a HECS place
If you enrol as a fee-paying student you will be eligible to apply to transfer to a HECS place in the same course after completing one year of full-time study. Transfer to a HECS place is not guaranteed and selection will take into account both your secondary and tertiary performance. You must apply through UAC.

:)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)